Author Topic: Electrical problem  (Read 367 times)

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Electrical problem
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »
Hi Guys and Girls,

I fitted my new engine a week ago and i have been having some teething troubles, nothing insurmountable, clutch that wouldn't disengage, carb balancing etc and an electrical problem that nearly drove me more insane than when i started.

Driving the car and the fuel pump cut out, trailered  the moke home and found a blown fuse.   The bottom one of the 2 in the "fuse box".  During my investigations i found that the electric fuel pump had been wired through the voltage stabilizer so i wired it as per the manual, from the white wire side of the fuse box. 

Every  time i drove it the indicators and the fuel gauge would  stop working, blown fuse again!  At least the fuel pump kept going so i could drive home.  I have had the under dash loom in pieces twice, i have learnt some really good swear words now.

So to get to the heart of the matter and my stupidity, i decided to see what was working and what wasn't, wipers, headlights, dash lights, indicators all good, well until i tried the brake lights.  I actually heard the fuse go pop, if the photo works you will see what was causing all my troubles.

It must have been moving around because i drove the car nearly 200 klms with it like that.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:53:32 PM »
That’s a good one and easy fixed, bend the split pin legs a bit more or use insulated terminals on
the brake switch or better still use a different sort of clip (can’t think of their name, R clip!)

Shouldn’t there be some clearance between clutch throw out stop and the wok?
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
Hi Moe, There should and there is clearance.  The shiny bit between the flange on the throw out nut and the alloy case is grease on the clutch plunger arm.  I did try one of those spring things that Colsun? sells on ebay but it was just too tight of a fit with the radiator attached  when i was fitting the engine.

Dave