Author Topic: Prices, parts?  (Read 793 times)

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Prices, parts?
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:03:49 PM »
Why is it that a clutch and brake pedal pivot bolt costs $95 from a dealer in SA and a dealer in NSW has them for $18.

Is the SA one made from something special, like gold?  Seriously can it be a better quality or made from harder steel, Titanium maybe?

Dave

jimwat

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Prices, parts?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:42:05 PM »
Dave, I've lived in SA for nearly 40 years and we pay more than anywhere else in the world for most things. I think its because either we are so far away from the east and west coasts or maybe we are just easy enough to rip off. I don't buy much local for this reason.
Jim

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »
Agree with Jim. I buy most parts from Victoria. If I need it right away I'll buy in SA but yes we do pay a premium for some reason. Same product from UK and to freight from Vic to SA still way cheaper than local suppliers.

winabbey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 04:29:05 PM »
If you are referring to Mini Kingdom Online being the cheaper source in NSW then be aware that the Manager, John Smidt, had huge stocks of Mini, Moke, P76, etc. parts (volume now greatly reduced) that he purchased direct from BMC and Leyland Australia, much of it when they were closing down. That's why you will see parts marked genuine New Old Stock on the shop website with some being much cheaper than the current reproduced aftermarket equivalent. The pivot bolt may be such a part although it doesn't have the NOS logo.

Here's an example of an MKO genuine NOS part.

https://minikingdomonline.com.au/product/rotor-arm-suit-lucas-australian-made-29d-distributor-nos/

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
I've been getting stuff from oz.minisport in Victoria. Some stuff he has in stock. Others is ordered from UK. So far substantially cheaper than local. Shame cause i like to support locsl business where I can.

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »
But can the NSW seller actually supply the part? I tried to buy one there recently, got messed around for a couple of weeks and had trouble getting a response to my emails. I've had similar issues in the past - multiple times. It would have to be a pretty rare part, at a good price before I bother with that supplier again.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 06:03:18 PM »
Are you  Psychic Tim,  I just got an email this morning saying that said supplier can no longer get them and they have to be made.

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:39 PM »
I think that's why they cost so much from Mini sport. That particular pedal pivot pin was an Australian-only part, so there is a very small market and no cheap supply from the UK, unlike many other parts. If you had your own lathe you could probably knock one up fairly cheaply, but being able to sell them profitably would drive the price up.

I ended up doing a dodgy repair on mine, mentioned in another thread.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 08:54:42 PM »
Yes, i did the same, i welded the worn sections and turned them down to size.  I even welded the holes in the pedal carrier thing and re drilled them.  I also drilled the centre of the pin and fitted a grease nipple.
It looks a bit crappy but it sure is tight now.

winabbey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
But can the NSW seller actually supply the part? I tried to buy one there recently, got messed around for a couple of weeks and had trouble getting a response to my emails. I've had similar issues in the past - multiple times. It would have to be a pretty rare part, at a good price before I bother with that supplier again.

Tim
PM sent

Nick

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
Well said Tim; sadly I have had the same experience. Surely the basics of customer service you mention aren't that hard?

Nick

winabbey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
Well said Tim; sadly I have had the same experience. Surely the basics of customer service you mention aren't that hard?

Nick
There's a very unfortunate reason for your experiences that I can't go into publicly, apart from saying it's not the fault of John Smidt himself.  ;)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
Getting dangerously close to running down individual suppliers here, which is strictly against Forum Code of Conduct.

As Winnabey has alluded to, there is often stuff going on behind the scenes which is too complicated and/or not appropriate to go into online.

Mini Kingdom is a long standing well respected business, but like all businesses, no doubt has people who love them and others who have had bad experiences.

Both sides have had their say as it were, so perhaps leave it there for now.