Author Topic: LED Tail Lights  (Read 460 times)

Bigmorgs

• Standard
  • Registered Member

LED Tail Lights
« on: March 02, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »
Hi,

I Installed some LED tail lights today on my 1980.. I have them all running but the rear number plate light.

I put the old incandescent ones back on and wired the exact same way the and number plate light came on.

Do I need to run a resistor on the Tail light wire for the number plate light to come on?

If so the incandescent bulb for the tail light is 5v would I need a 5v resistor?

Thanks for the help.....
Why me!!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: LED Tail Lights
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
Hi,

that sounds strange. :)

The number plate light is normally a red wire that is connected to the red wire going to the right side rear light so it doesn't make sense to me that that what is down the end of one red wire is affecting what it at the end of another red wire. A LED is just a diode that glows, and a diode is something that acts like a one-way valve so the flow of the current only travels in one direction. So it could be related to your problem, but I can think of how you would have things wired that allows the tail light LED to work and the numberplate light to not work.

The bulb will be 5W, not 5V, you are mixing voltage with wattage. A 12V/5W bulb is the correct one for tailights and number plate lights. No resistors should be needed.

Terry

Bigmorgs

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: LED Tail Lights
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:06:56 PM »
Thanks Terry I'll have another go tomorrow!
Why me!!