Author Topic: Dan and Moke-Duggery Pleasant - lovely to be here!  (Read 240 times)

Dan

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Dan

Dan and Moke-Duggery Pleasant - lovely to be here!
« on: May 21, 2023, 08:22:00 PM »
Hi All,
Love the forum, been reading it obsessively in prep for my first moke. I'm 52 and definitely in the 'reclaiming lost youth' demographic and loving it!

Just bought moke-duggery pleasant (if you have a teenager you'll understand, if you don't - don't ask...) as a into-retirement project, but she's coming up better than expected.

Seller and I thought she was an AKP on the compliance plate (I did my research - AK-moke - P, low class...) but with paint stripper and elbow-grease it turns into an F- high class, and when I cleaned around the tappet cover a 1275 came  out on the head... so am I entitled to call it a Californian? ('special export' I understand, but I'm just parroting from the forum?)
Compliance plate says Feb 1980, chassis number indicatesa she's 1979 model

Anyway, the brakes seemed to work tonight which is a bonus! and I tweaked the handbrake too!

Haven't tried to start the motor yet, so that may be when reality bites......

Great to be here, thanks heaps, I will be asking lots of stupid questions so please be patient, Thanks Dan
Mokeduggery Pleasant
1980 998cc Californian with
1972/73 Californian 1275 engine

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Dan and Moke-Duggery Pleasant - lovely to be here!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 11:39:31 PM »
Hi,

Welcome.

as mentioned in the other post answering your questions, your Moke isn't an Export but all Mokes are special. Good news on the brakes that they work, but keep an eye on them for leaking or weeping fluid. If the Moke has sat around for awhile the cylinders can build up rust and with regular application the rust and crud can tear up the seals and they will leak.

Engines are usually pretty good even after sitting around, assuming it had no issues when it was last run, so a dash of oil down each plug hole, clean fuel in the float bowl, check the float bowl is clean from crud around the pick up as they end to oxidise heavily in there, a good battery and check you have spark at a plug and give it a whirl.

I have updated your profile so you will now be able to post up some pictures in the Gallery to show us what you have got.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 11:44:33 PM by Terry »

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 02:00:08 PM »
I would also suggest that you crank it over with the diisy xcap off and spark plugs out until you get oil pressure.
Cheers, Dave

Dan

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Dan

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 05:18:30 PM »
Thanks Gents, I'll take a deep breath and get into it..
Mokeduggery Pleasant
1980 998cc Californian with
1972/73 Californian 1275 engine

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 02:00:36 PM »
Welcome Dan, enjoy the journey.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"