austmoke

Author Topic: Steering wheel removal  (Read 159 times)

JasonH

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Steering wheel removal
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:38:27 PM »
Hi guys,

Hoping that the brains trust and knowledge base can help me out with steering wheel removal on a 1977 moke, I have loosened and removed the nut and locking washer, but can not get the steering wheel to budge!, I have tried light heat, lots of wd40 etc, I have procrastinated for 3 years on this project and looking to start making the magic happen  8)
“Just your average hack having a go”
1977 Leyland Moke

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
Re: Steering wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 11:35:44 PM »
Hi JasonH and welcome!

Can't let a little thing like a stuck steering wheel stop you after three years of planning! ;)

First thing I would try is put the nut back on without the washer until it is flush with the end of the thread, then pull up on the wheel as hard as you can and get someone you trust to give the nut and column a good clean hit a hammer.

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

JasonH

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 04:09:11 AM »
Thanks Maddog!

I could not agree more!, I have tried your recommended method, with no success at this stage, I may however simply need a bigger hammer ;) I will hit it with another good dose of WD40etc this morning and let it continue to soak in, whilst I move to another part that requires some attention....
1977 Leyland Moke

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 05:32:12 AM »
Hi Jason,

I have never had one not come off using MD's method.   

I  get my knees under the wheel, apply pressure evenly, both sides, and use a chunk (technical term) of steel as a punch  and give it a good sharp smack with the hammer.  The chunk of steel gets me above the rim of the wheel so i can get at it.   Good thing the're not collapsible steering columns hey.

Good luck with the project. 

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »
Hi,
As the guys have said, make sure you leave the nut on because when it does finaly let go, it will stop the wheel smacking you in the chin.
Ive had a few that were difficult to get off, but try gripping the wheel at 12 oclock and 6 oclock and give it a few firm wiggles then move to 3 and 9 oclock and do the same, repeat till it comes off.
Cheers
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

JasonH

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 09:21:44 PM »
Thanks heaps, I will give it another crack tomorrow, I took the high ground today and moved onto another area requiring attention, with a successful outcome!, this is new territory for me, restoring a car, but I am enjoying the challenge and experience!

Thanks again, hammers at dawn it is!
1977 Leyland Moke