Author Topic: Coolant  (Read 839 times)

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Coolant
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
Hi there
Im just about to tip some form of coolant into my cooling system , I have read a lot about coolants in the past and leant a lot of I'm not sure of , maybe the only thing was some coolants don't mix with each other ,
does anyone run Evans high performance waterless coolant ?
What is every one running out there ?

Cheers
Cheezle

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Coolant
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:17:21 AM »
Hi,

I use the green stuff, glycenol(?), but really for the anti-corrosion properties to keep the block and cooling system free of scale and stuff that blocks the radiator. Sometimes I have used a Penrite product which is Red in colour and just does the anti-corrision stuff, it is not a coolant.

The waterless coolant I look at a few years ago I decided was not going to be worth it because it is hard to catch the fluid coming out of a Moke radiator so it was going to be expensive if it couldn't be reused.

Terry

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 06:05:15 PM »
I seem to recall reading an article about waterless coolant that said the coolant passage ways had to be super clean with no residual coolant/glycol in the system for it to be effective.

I use Penrite 10/tenths inhibitor, red in colour.  You can also put a squirt of liquid hand soap in the system, it works the same way water wetter does, it breaks the surface tension of the water so you get better cooling  effect.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Have a read of this article from the spridget guys.
http://www.spriteparts.com.au/tech/radiator.html

Cheers
Dave

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 07:52:03 PM »
For my 5c worth (they don't make 2's anymore Drak  ;)) my theory is to use any good quality name brand concentrate and dilute it to suit your needs, but always get a little bit more than you need and keep the spare in the shed. That way, when you need more (and you will at some point) you can top it up with the same stuff. If you get the concentrate, it's easier to store and you can play around with the dilution a bit. For instance, my Moke runs very hot in summer, but is also subjected to frosts during the winter (Usually in the shed, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and have it covered in case it gets caught outside one night) so I run a fairly high concentration of coolant to both protect against freezing and boiling - very cheap insurance for the little extra coolant you use in a Moke system.

Not mixing it is quite important though I believe, and as I'm not a chemist and don't fully understand which types are compatible with which, I figure the safe bet is to use the same brand/type all of the time. I've gradually brought in a system of running all of my vehicles on the same coolant to save confusion and cut down the likelihood of confusion. Also cheaper as you only need one spare bottle of concentrate in the shed. The tricky bit is to remember to tell the mechanics which service my moderns about the system... :-\

Newie

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 05:56:44 AM »
Jezzus, 5 cents Newie, i knew someone would raise the ante, what if i see your 5c and raise it to 10c?

Just as a side note i think glycol, the green stuff, is a no no for racing.  I'm pretty sure it's banned on race tracks in the UK because it is so slippery.

Dave

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 07:35:12 AM »
I have been using Penrite's CCC Classic Car Coolant for a number of years now, it works well and suits me.
Cheers, Dave

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 07:48:42 AM »
Thanks Guys for your moneys worth ,I rang Penrite and had a chat ,I'm a Penrite fan as it is still Australian owed, Im going with Penrite race coolant ,sounds fast , no the guy tells me it is good for minis because of the fact that they can tend to run warm , I could tell he may of know something as he told me they are a silly design pulling the air through the grill, warming it up over the engine then sending hot air through the radiator ,
Dave I wasn't planning to put it on the race track , But I'm ready if I end up there  :D

Cheers
Cheezle

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »
...  I could tell he may of know something as he told me they are a silly design pulling the air through the grill, warming it up over the engine then sending hot air through the radiator ...

No sillier than pulling hot air from the radiator and blowing over the motor you are trying to cool down. :)

Terry

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 07:00:24 PM »
I'm beginning to think Terry has a slight bias toward Mokes!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »
I'm beginning to think Terry has a slight bias toward Mokes!
No Volkswagen, air-cooled is the way to go. :)

Terry

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 07:33:33 AM »
True Terry
I would off thought you would off wanted to cool the water that cooled the engine ???

I all ways thought putting a air cooled engine in the back was a bit different too , VW proved it can be done

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
All true.     And the remarkable  49’ Tucker Car proved a reliable efficient air cooled family car could have been built to exceed VW effect.  Pity Ford, GM, and others couldn’t handle the competition and coluided together to sink the Tucker Car. More advanced than anything that had built collectively at that time. Only water needed was to clean the windscreen back then.

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
Another tip is use Demineralised water with your choice of coolant rather than tap water
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »
Thanks Pete I did get a box of that , did you known its cheaper then bottled drinking water

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
 :o
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"