Author Topic: First trip with my Moke  (Read 681 times)

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

First trip with my Moke
« on: June 03, 2019, 05:30:04 PM »
Cheers guys, I was waiting 30 days for my registration plates, but I received them a day before International Mini Meeting at Slovakia, so I directly went there. I went 250 km to start of meeting, and right away at start of rally my tacho stop working, but luckily that was only one problem for complete 600 event trip. First night in Moke was bit cold, because outside were still snow. And the second night was a heavy rain. But trip back home with roof down was amazing. I am really amazed by Moke on big wheels. In a week, I am leaving to a bigger trip here ! https://www.google.com/search?q=trasa+transalpina&oq=trasa+tran&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.8191j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 , that will be round 4000 km. I will post here after trip.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: First trip with my Moke
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
Hi,

I like your wheel cover. :)

That was pretty good effort for a first trip and after another 4000km you will be hooked. :)

With the bed on the passengers side if you run the base board all the way through to the dash shelf you will find it very handy for carrying all sorts of things with in easy reach while driving.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 06:21:07 PM »
Well done there Pavel,
It can be quite daunting to leave home on a reasonably big trip for your first run. I Really enjoy reading Moke adventures, and your pictures of the country side you get to MOKE around are terrific.

Do you have to remove your passenger seat each night you make camp? I guess its only 4 bolts, so not a real big job, and your allway guaranteed accomodation  ;D

Will you be traveling in a group, or are you going to conquer it with just yourself and your MOKE?
Please share your next trip with us, Im sure it will be quite an adventure.

Cheers
Halfpint
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing, great looking moke and trip. I like the chromed Hood Bows.
Good luck on the next journey, I wonder if the high altitude will affect the engine performance.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 09:41:59 PM »
I have to unmount seat every time, but it isnt a big trouble, I have fasteners for it. Problem with my speedo was a bit harder than I expected. It was a wheel in gearbox, which I have to change in the end ( see pictures).
For next big trip, we are going in same group as last year, only I will change my Van for my Moke.
I finally gets proper Moke rims.
And also I want to show you one more Moke from Czech Republic, which is called Desert storm :)

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »
Last work before the big trip. Cover of gearbox and also a pirat chest :D
I had to change a clutch seal, it was bad after 800 km and it was new unfortunatelly.
Before I am back from a big trip, you can also check the next produced Mokes https://garageolomouc.rajce.idnes.cz/Moke_posledni

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 10:27:05 PM »
G'Day,

Nice touch with the rubber insert to get your storage box right over against the side wall  8) The box is a really good use of space.
Safe Moking Travels Pavel.

Cheers
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:53:41 AM »
Hi,

why do you need the bash plate under the gearbox, are you going off road?

That is a pretty big jigsaw puzzle you have been putting together. :)

Terry
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:55:37 AM by Terry »
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:35 AM »
G'Day,

Nice touch with the rubber insert to get your storage box right over against the side wall  8) The box is a really good use of space.
Safe Moking Travels Pavel.

Cheers

Love out of the box ideas.
Like how other people solve problems.

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »
And I am back from trip !

We traveled to east, we traveled only one time zone, but we needed 4 different currencies and in 2 countries, there is language who nobody else understands. So that is why I most of the time saw things, but I didnt know what it is.
Frist problem was after 1000 km, when Moke stops. It was a problem on electric SU fuel pump, but I know this problem and so on I have always 2 of them :D So that was easily changed in electric and problem solved. After 1500 km we have to split our group, because LR Discovery started to leak oil from differencial. So we continued only I in Moke and VW Westfalia. Another problem was my physical condition. I had bad diarrhea for 3 days. Not wish to anybody ! :D
So our trip was reduced on 3000 km, also because one mountain crrossing was open from 1th July. Unfortunatelly every day, we have to deal with lot of rain. Once there were a huge storm in the mountains, but we have to continue.
I think, that as we were above 2000 m above sea level, Moke had about 1/4 of power down. The whole trip the fuel consumption was about 7 litres and I refill 2l of oil. I have a 3,44 differential ratio.
Our travelling highway speed was 93 km/h. The only technical problem was the fuel pump.

And answer for a plate under gearbox, not every rod in Europe is a road. We deffinitelly needed that and used that.
I will post pictures and a few videos later, I am still collecting them.
To be continued......

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
Pavel,

Thank you for sharing pictures of your trip.

You Moke looks like it could do with some suspension travel. Is it sitting on the bump stops?

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 09:52:27 AM »
Some nice Moking back roads in there.
I can see why you had the sump protector now.
Thanks for sharing your run with us, the scenery and roads look like great fun to Moke through  8)
Cheers
HP

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
Back to the chassis, I have Hi-Lo all around and adjustabel Spax with softest setup and I am very happy with that also in terain like that.

Here a few more pictures from our trip and one video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jMNsy9c8cQRPeBYa7

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 08:29:10 AM »
Hi,

Some nice scenery, thanks for sharing.

Looks like a nice little mountain road for a Hillclimb track and what is the statue with guy holding the lightning bolts?

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016