austmoke

Author Topic: stereo and speakers  (Read 247 times)

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

stereo and speakers
« on: July 07, 2019, 09:05:44 AM »
Hi All
Can someone tell me is it worth fitting a stereo , kids won't a big one , I feel there's enough noise in a open top moke and a nice engine purring away , we are a family of four and at the moment its 3 against 1 so I feel I'm out voted.
My question is where are speakers getting fitted , Im not keen on cutting holes into side boxes
love to hear what others have done

Cheers
Cheezle

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: stereo and speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
Hi Cheezle,

I am considering this at the moment. I was going to mount the head unit and hidden aerial under the passenger seat and use a remote to control it.  I have MX5 seats so speakers are already in the head rests.

I must be paranoid (too many years working for the government).  Whenever i am driving the moke, i can't help listening for sounds of trouble about to happen so the last thing i need is loud radio music covering the music coming from the engine.

I do have an alternate plan, i just got a 3.5 mm phone jack, audio splitter thingy that i will splice into the MX5 speakers, hopefully that will allow me to use Spotify or something similar on my phone to play my favourite music, if i ever get that comfortable.

Dave

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
These days big stereos are redundant in cars. A couple of USB ports in the back for the kids to plug their phone or nanos/ iPods in and some headphones they can listen to what they want if a crisp sounding 1100 A motor doesn’t rock there senses  you can hardwire the USB ports into the power side of the accessory/ignition switch. You get to enjoy your thing and others listen to ??? theirs.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
Hi,
Personally, I’m not a fan of putting speakers through the footwell into the side pods, but if you think that’s the best spot, then that’s where they should go.
I figured that if speakers stuck under the front seats weren’t good enough or the humm of the A series engine wasn’t enough audible entertainment, then it was either walk or go in the boring car.
Simples  ;D

Having said that though, suitably sized speaker fitted on the dash shelf, or under it, can work well in Mokes.
Lots of people are talking about hidden units rather than a normal headset, and then using the phone to stream the music.
So many options, but I’m sure you’ll find the setup to suit  :). While the kids are young, it’s not a “ body corporate “ type vote  ;). Not in my Moke anyway ( different now though, as adults they seem to think they have an equal say in all things to do with the Moke  ;D)
cheers
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 08:41:27 PM »
Hi,

I have two 6"speakers in h/made boxes under the front seats and then two old three way units that you used to see on the rear parcel shelf but gutted them and put in nice Pioneer internals and they hang from the rear of the seats using the cross bar near your shoulders with the speakers facing up. The radio/player is mounted inside a DNA marine case, https://dnaaudio.com.au/marine-headunit-case.html

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:09:45 AM »
Hi all
 Thanks for feed back , Im going for a unit that you blue tooth your phone too and with radio only , no cd player etc , I don't have mx5 seats so I think I might make some small wooden boxes to go under seat.
Cheers
Cheezle

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »
Hi,

I came across this yesterday when doing a search for the picture of my weatherproof box, https://www.autoelec.com.au/dna-ma3bt-bluetooth-marine-boat-waterproof-radio-u  It might be of interest to you.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 07:35:04 AM »
Hi
That is nice Terry , while you where searching for your weather proof box I was buying a stereo , If I had seen that I think I would of gone for it
Cheers
Cheezle

HAG

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    No, no, no, yes
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »

The Speaker was placed under the front seat and the rear of the speaker was covered with a large electrical junction box [without the lid ]
The junction box has a built in rubber seal along the top to stop any moisture and the wireing taken from the head unit along it inside of the side panniers
 Stuff the inside of the junction box with insulation to stop reverberation

HAG
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:32:00 AM by HAG »
If it has Tit's or Tires....It'll take  your money!

ONLY A MOKER UNDERSTANDS WHY DOGS LIKE TO STICK THEIR HEADS OUT OF CAR WINDOWS

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 08:33:11 PM »
Hi all
Thanks Hag for your in put I think your idea is the way I will go
Cheers
Cheezle