Author Topic: Speedo  (Read 207 times)

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Speedo
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:05:50 AM »
Hi all
I have lost my speedo already ,  I pulled the cable out on the weekend and its fine ( was hoping to never pull the dash apart again ) I reattached cable to the gearbox end and went for a drive with the bonnet off and the cable isn't spinning , Im assuming I may of stripped the nylon gear , I haven't investigated yet , can someone tell me can I get it out in the car ? it looks like I would need to remove the pot joint.

Cheers
Cheezle

SaharaDust

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Speedo
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 05:54:46 PM »
Been mucking around with something similar It appears over the years there have been multiple size of square ends on the cable Perhaps something like 2.7 and 3mm So while it may be something to do gears it may not be just that.

A slightly worn smaller square drive cable may spin inside a slightly worn square drive end of the gear.

While the inner and outer of the cable may look right ....!

Same applies to the female square end inside the speedo. I think that Smiths Jaeger used different sizes for different speedo Or perhaps it was as complex as whatever was available at the time

Cheers

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 07:34:23 AM »
Hi
Thanks SaharaDust , gives me something to look at this weekend,

Can someone tell me if I can get the speedo drive out from under car , I have been told I need to pull the engine out

Cheers
Cheezle

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 08:06:11 AM »
Hi Cheezle,

I just had a look at mine.   I think it can be done in the car, might have to remove the inner CV though.  Another way might be to remove the radiator using the tried and true method of Maddog's, undo the engine mount that side and jack the engine up to get better access.

Depends on what you prefer, laying down or bending over.

Cheers
Dave

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »
Hi,

Can someone tell me if I can get the speedo drive out from under car , I have been told I need to pull the engine out
That would depend on whether someone also told you to only do the fitting on to the gearbox up with your fingers and not use pliers, multigrips or any other tool to make sure it was tight. If you used a tool, try pyscho puupy's method or look forward to pulling the engine out.

If you only did the fitting up with your fingers then you can lay the right way underneath so that your wrist bends the right way to get a good grip with your fingers and undo it. From memory, I use a hoist now, I used to lay under from the drivers side behind the wheels and reach up with my left hand, but the trick seemed to me to move your body around and until you got a good grip.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

SaharaDust

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:32:11 PM »
Very important point to only do up knurled nut with finger Very easy to be tempted as the engine slips down to grab something just to give the nut that extra little tweak

If it is the drive gear you are contemplating removing then before doing that it may be worthwhile to undo the drive at speedo end and turn with fingers Might give a clue about what is happening

The speedo cable should also be able to be pulled out of the inner from speedo end. Will give the opportunity to look at speedo drive end of cable

If you decide to remove the speedo drive then can be done from above from above Have done using couple of 1/4 extensions with flexible joint on the end Can be a bit tricky (absolute pain) to refit I practised on another gearbox using the look away method. This gives a feel of what goes where. My method but then!!!  Must add that I have relatively small hands.  Terry is absolutely right in that it is not just the position of the hand but also the rest of the arm and body

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 07:17:36 AM »
Hi
I can only dream about a hoist , I think I might have to think about this job for a little bit as I have only had my number plates for a week , if I took it off the road now the family wouldn't be happy.

Cheers
Cheezle

I prefer laying , if it gets to much have a nap

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 09:07:23 AM »
Hi cheezle.    Easiest fix for speed is to either use your Navman it has a speed indicator on the side of screen or a gps speedometer available from Jaycar outlets for about $100.  Both gps units are far more accurate on speed than the original unit. Navman may even help you find where your going too, bonus?