Author Topic: Radiator upgrade.  (Read 595 times)

Storm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Radiator upgrade.
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:35:31 PM »
I have removed a 2 core radiator and replaced it with a 3 core. My old radiator had the top hose at the rear and a rear facing thermostat housing. My new radiator has a front top hose. I have got a new front facing thermostat housing but the top bracket no longer fits. What bracket do I need to buy to attach the radiator to the thermostat housing?? If anyone knows the part number that I need I would be very grateful.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Radiator upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 07:58:49 PM »
Hi,

do you have a picture or two to share of your set up. Things like a 998/1100 and 1275 have different bolt patterns and things like whether you have a spacer under the housing determine if you need one with a bend in it or not.

Terry

Storm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 06:59:52 PM »
I have taken a photo of the thermostat housing and radiator. If you put a straight edge on the thermostat housing the radiator cowling is around 6mm or 1/4" lower than the housing.

I have a 1100cc head and there is a spacer under the housing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:02:38 PM by Storm »

Storm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 11:25:06 AM »
 I have purchased a front facing thermostat housing and a AYG2005 radiator bracket. I now have the problem that the AYG2005 is correct in height but it is too far away from the cowling. If you take the 2 large holes and the farthest thermostat hole then it would measure. The old bracket is approx., from the cowl hole to the thermostat hole in a straight line, 120mm, 145mm and 115mm and the new one is around 105mm,130mm and 115mm.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
Hi,
It is a pain with so many variations.
I have a few different ones that Ive collected over the years, usually able to find one that fits but I still had to fabricate one when I built my last Moke 7yrs ago.
Is the radiator fairly square to the fan? Can you pull it closer to the head?
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Storm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 11:57:12 AM »
The radiator is fairly square to the fan and yes I can pull it closer by 10mm to 15mm. I tried to fit the AYG2005 bracket but that is just too close and then the angle of the radiator was wrong.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:01:01 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

winabbey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 01:03:08 PM »
Are you saying the engine and radiator combination is now not a standard Moke setup? If so you may have to fabricate a bracket, perhaps by extending the one you have now.

Here's the various types MKO have.

https://minikingdomonline.com.au/?s=radiator+bracket+top&post_type=product
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:06:56 PM by winabbey »

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 05:22:51 PM »
I have purchased a front facing thermostat housing and a AYG2005 radiator bracket. I now have the problem that the AYG2005 is correct in height but it is too far away from the cowling. If you take the 2 large holes and the farthest thermostat hole then it would measure. The old bracket is approx., from the cowl hole to the thermostat hole in a straight line, 120mm, 145mm and 115mm and the new one is around 105mm,130mm and 115mm.
What bracket did you end up using mate?  I'm kinda in the same predicament.   I was thinking the 1275 GT bracket would work because it is longer?