Author Topic: A problematic Moke  (Read 541 times)

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
A problematic Moke
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:11:05 AM »
A while ago, some friends of Alpine Moke searched for, and found a Moke  8). ( Alpine gave some pre advice as to what to look for).
It was found in Queensland (I wont go into detail) and transported to Victoria.
Soon after, a welsh plug blew out, it over heated, and then it began  ::)
The new owners have spent countless hours since researching, on the phone talking, and of course, Paying to fix it all up.
The head was rebuilt, and thats when a miss was noticed. Im not 100% sure how it all came about, but a new dizzy, cap, leads, points, condenser,  coil, etc, etc all came from a reputable supplier and fitted by the new owner.
It still missed, popped and farted.
A few of us in the area were consulted and asked for advice. It seemed that everything we all would do, was done. Very frustrating for the owner.
I had a day off yesterday and went for a run with PRU. It was a beautiful Winters day, and only 80k's away ;D

I took a few spares, just in case  ;)

We checked all the basics, like leads, points, coil etc. Things seemed to settle for a bit and we were able to set the carbie mixture. Took 6 full turns, but came good for a bit.

Then it turned to SH.T again  ::) no reason, no rhyme?
Now it was down to change parts out.
Cap, leads and plugs, no change, swap back!
Coil, nope  ::)
Lunch time  ;D Oh yeh! down to Treats in Tawonga for Lunch,  ;D ;D ;D. Thanks Alpine  ;D

Ok, back to work  ::)
Pulled out the new dizzie, fitted the old 45D from PRU with the patronus electronic module in it, and the electronic coil and away we went  8). Set the timing, a minor mixture adjustment, test drive, another mixture adjustment and all was sweet. Ran beaut  ;D

Seems to be a problem in the new dizzy, I'll leave the fault finding to the supplier in Sth Aus.
For now, after all the frustration, I hope they just drive and learn to enjoy Moking for a while.

And Snow capped mountains all around wasnt such a bad view for the day  8) ;D

Cheers
HP

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

alpine moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: A problematic Moke
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
Thanks for the kind words HP, also nice photos of the Moke repair centre.

Audrey the Moke owner is over the moon with the Moke.

I think she took it for a drive today after 2 months of no Moke drives.

The Moke has been seen all over the Alpine area today.

Thanks HP.
You never actually own a Moke.
 You merely look after it for the next generation.

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »
Great work getting it all fixed up!  As an aside, what is the colour of her Moke called?  Is it a factory colour?  I am nearing the paint stage with my 82 Californian and am still trying to pick the colour.  The one on that Moke is quite nice.

Thanks,
Tim

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:10:08 PM »
I’m not sure Tim, I don’t think it’s a standard Leyland colour, but I could be wrong.
It is a pretty nice colour.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 10:57:45 PM »
  I think you will find it’s a Holden hq color called magenta. from the early seventies. I remember my uncle had a Monaro back then with a magenta factory paint. Looked cool back the too

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 11:17:27 PM »
Hi,

it could also be a Ford colour of Reef Green from 1995, very difficult to tell the exact hues from a photo as cameras can distort things.

Terry