Author Topic: 79 cali, not going!  (Read 161 times)

ratty

• Standard
  • Registered Member

79 cali, not going!
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:04:01 AM »
Gooday all,
Been a long time between posts for me for a variety of reasons, main one being my Blue Moke is still on the road and being enjoyed as much as the Tassie whether allows!
I was stopped at the local corner shop a couple of weeks ago by a bloke who has a red Cali. One thing led to another and seeing as how he couldn't get it going, I agreed to have a look at it for him. Why do we do these things? I honestly thought it to be a simple fix when he explained the symptoms but I should of known better.  Anyway first things first, it is a 10/79 cali as plated and by the vin numbers is supposed to have a 1275 engine. Before I help any further, I need to establish if it is still got the original engine. He doesn't know as it was his daughter who bought it from Queensland a good while ago. What can I look for to confirm if it is or isn't a 1275. The engine number that is stamped in the usual place must have been stamped by a drunken monkey, no resemblance to anything logic and partly stamped and over stamped in places. Best I can do is  " 213???924 ". While I had the rocker cover off, there is a casting number on the head "12A1456".
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Ratty.
Where do all the little tubes go from CRC can ?
Blue moke
Yellow moke
Subaru Forester

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: 79 cali, not going!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »
Hey there Ratty,
Good to hear from you and your Still driving the Moke over the cooler months  :)

The head is for an 850, 998 Mini or 948 Sprite.

One of the tell tale signs for me at a glance is the orientation of the thermostat bolts.
On a 1275, the front 2 bolts are parallel to the front row of the engine studs, where as on the 998 and 1100 they are offset.

I think the best way to determine if its a 998 or 1100 is to measure the length of stroke through the spark plug hole.

What sort of symptoms are there?

Cheers
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »
This might be a good chance to ask this.  I was told that on 1275 engines the heater tap take off on the rear of the head is on an angle and on other engines it is straight ( front to back).  Is this correct?

Cheers
Dave

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 07:43:06 PM »
I think your right Dave.
This is the 1275 head for Gulliver.

The 1100 head.

Cheers
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.