Author Topic: Moke Painting and Underbody Painting  (Read 517 times)

BrettC

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Moke Painting and Underbody Painting
« on: October 03, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
Hi all, I just purchased a 77 Cali in Yellow Devil. It is in pretty good condition but need some TLC. A few questions on rust prevention and paint:
1. The tub has a small area in the rear that is pitted from past rust repairs - should I fill it or apply a textured tub liner paint?
2. What colour/paint is most durable for cabin/tub? i.e. should I stick with Yellow Devil in 2 pac or a textured tub paint?
3. I have some light service rust that that I will rub back/prime - what is bets paint for underbody (same as top side or a chassis/underbody paint)?
4. Inside the storage boxes is poorly painted (was fish oiled). What is best way/paint for inside those (same as dub or underbody paint)
5. What colour white was standard in Caku sunrayser wheels?
Any assistance appreciated. Thanks

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

Re: Moke Painting and Underbody Painting
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
I have repainted my Sunrasias in "Appliance White" looks okay IMO. Used a brand called Plasti-Kote comes in Spray Cans. I think 2-3 cans were enough for 4 wheels, no idea of original.
It will be hard to match the old paint which is no doubt faded but you can try. Or are you planning on a complete respray?
I'm not a fan of the textured stuff, but many are.
A good 2 Pac is my choice.
Paint the whole lot in the same paint but then in places like battery boxes you can add some extra protection.

Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Moke Painting and Underbody Painting
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 07:49:24 PM »
Hi,

some pictures of the areas you mention in your post would be good to help get a better idea f what you are starting with.

A good texture paint in the tub  like stonegaurd is good if you are going to paint over it but is does need a good surface to stick to otherwise it can peel off. I have seen a car recently with a spray on tub liner paint which looks really good but it has no colour over it and not sure if it can be painted on.

Under body stonegauard is my choice but get one that goes hard and not the bitumen based ones as they are difficult to keep clean and to clean off it you decide to do any body work later on.

Terry