Author Topic: I got a scoop but will it do anything  (Read 474 times)

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

I got a scoop but will it do anything
« on: October 06, 2019, 10:23:54 AM »
Hi Everyone

I must have been really bored when i started down this path, it might end up being one of those "it sounded like a good idea at the time things".

I decided that more air, more cool air i should say would be a good thing for the engine intake so i tried running 2 inch plastic tubes  from the grill around the engine bay to the air cleaners but my engine bay is just too busy/messy.  I had an epiphany, a bonnet scoop is the answer.  Every hot rod/rocket ship type car up here on the Sunshine Coast has a bonnet scoop and alloy fabricated rocker covers.  I am bucking the system a little here because my scoop isn't going to be the reverse type that is in favour at the moment.

Anyway here is a couple of pics of where i'm at. 

Now where can i get a fabricated alloy rocker cover.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: I got a scoop but will it do anything
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 02:22:22 PM »
Hi,

it might be too late but mounting it forward like you have will draw air out of the engine bay, not push it in as you think it would. Turning it around so that opening will face the windscreen will actually catch the small amount of air going past.

It is all to do with airflow. At speed the airflow will hit the front panel of the Moke and go up high to about 1/4 of the way down from the top the of your windscreen where it hits next leaving a bit of a void across the top of the bonnet and some air flows down the windscreen and forward across the bonnet.

If you put some masking tape across the middle of some strips of light paper and  and stick them on your bonnet you can see what the air is doing.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:41:04 PM by Terry »

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 05:53:21 PM »
Hi Terry,

Hmm, That has given me something to test.  Ok with 6 inch lengths  of wool taped to the bonnet where the mouth of the scoop will be the wool is being pulled forward just as you said Terry.  Now i have to test with the wool taped to the top of the scoop to see if height makes a difference.

It's not too late to reverse the scoop, the hole is rectangular so it shouldn't be to difficult to turn it around.

Cheers
Dave

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:09:25 AM »
Hi Drakman

Can you tell me what the scoop is off , it fits well , Im interested to know if it helps with the cooling

Cheers
Cheezle

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 08:28:53 AM »
Hi,

when you are next testing the airflow put some sticky wool on the edge of the intake and you might find that the air comes out of the scoop  regardless of which way it is turned. There is a lot of air going in the front grille so it will take the easiest way out and you have just cut a big hole in the bonnet so it is going to go that way.

It still might help with your intention of getting cooler air near the intake as the more air going over the top of the engine might mean that it is slightly cooler.

There are pictures around of a yellow and black  Moke from Canada that used to be owned by Alan M. and I vaguely recall that he had made up a fibreglass air box that sealed against the scoop on his bonnet or the box was on the underside of the bonnet and it sealed with the carby intake. I f I can find them I will post them up, but otherwise hit up Google or Pin and you might find them.

Can you tell me what the scoop is off , it fits well , Im interested to know if it helps with the cooling

It looks like a Subaru WRX scoop. I have one here that I looked at fitting years ago that I didn't which is why I learnt about the airflow, or lack thereof, across the Moke bonnet.

Terry

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
Yes the scoop is a 1999 WRX one with 3 inches cut out of the centre and welded back together again, the stock scoop is too wide.  I didn't want to cut the strengthening ribs under the bonnet, nothing worse than a floppy bonnet.

I was thinking about fitting the spliter that would normally be under the WRX scoop, it might help stop or at least slow outgoing air.  Just have to figure a way to keep it closely fitted around the air filters. Don't you just love the domino effect.

I have to admit that i think it looks tough with the scoop fitted.

Thanks Terry, good info.

Cheers
Dave

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 06:37:47 PM »
There has been a couple of Mokes over the years floating around with scoops- not sure if the installation was aesthetic or functional.

What air cleaner do you run? Would it have been easier to fab up some tubing to feed the air cleaner? I run a bit of 2.5" flexy hose to the inlet of my standard air cleaner in an attempt to suck some cleaner and cooler air. Never tested the theory though.

Curious to see how it all comes out!

Samm

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 06:58:41 AM »
Hi Samm,

My engine bay is seriously messy, i did try running 2 inch flex pipe up to the air filters.

I will post a photo and this is an old pic!  Look away now HP.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 08:52:21 AM »
That’s a nice looking engine bay Dave  ;), just like Samm’s.
Every Moke that has an engine in there is awsome, just some have more opportunities to tidy up than others do ;) ;D ;D
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
Are you studying to be a Politician HP?  I will vote for you. lol