Author Topic: rear window with zips  (Read 428 times)

jimivo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Go ahead Moke my day
rear window with zips
« on: October 22, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
G'Day Mokers, Has anybody had a standard hood converted to the Californian rear window setup with the two zips down either  side of the window and is able to be rolled up? Does anybody have pics of the setup? Cheers Jim

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: rear window with zips
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 05:51:06 PM »
Hello, I will not recommend it to you. I have it on my car, and when the sleeve is rolled up, then all the smell from exhaust was comming into car.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:06:38 PM »
Hi,
I agree with Pavel, the exhaust can be a problem.
There are a few other things to consider.
1. Why the Zip?
I know that my original roof had no zip. Really scared the crap out of me one day when the 998 hit 110kph  :o with no doors, the hood acted like a parachute and the back end started to lift.
My first attempt was a a zip either side with Velcro across the bottom. At least if there was enough pressure, the Velcro would seperate and allow the wind out.
2. Why the zip?
For access it’s a personal choice. It looks cool rolled up, but is open to be blown around by the breeze.
Also, if the zip is low, it’s a pain to undo when the spare wheel is fitted.
So really Jim, ask your self over and over, why the zip?, and look at how you would use the window opening, is it for flow, is it for access, is it purely asthetics?
This time around I had PRU’s rear window zip higher up, like above the back seat. So much easier, but another suggestion ( that came up after) was to zip it down and roll the window down behind the seat, or down into the boot and strap it down.

Look at lots of roofs, there are so many variations, and everyone has their own good reason for doing a particular way.

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
Hi I also agree with Pavel re the exhaust, i have the Chinese top with zips down the sides of the rear window and it does indeed suck in fumes.  I moved the exhaust outlet to the side just behind the back wheel, i have the rear window rolled up all the time now.

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 10:44:39 PM »
When I got my moke it had a canopy but no doors. I had some doors made,and while i was at it had zips put in the rear of the canopy. The idea was to have easier access to the back of the moke. I don't use them much because while the zips are good, the lift a dots are a bit of a pain to get at, especially behind the spare wheel.  One thing the trimmer did was to make the roll up straps clear so you don't see 2 blue straps in your rear vision mirror.  ;)

1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 11:43:30 PM »
Dynky has had a zipped rear 'door' for 25+ years and we have no trouble with fumes although it has a side exit exhaust.
We can roll it up and clip in place with 2 straps which is great for hot days and for taking photos when in a convoy.
There are 3 lift the dots along the bottom but I don't use the one behind the spare wheel as the zip seems to hold good enough.

sorry no photos at this time  :(
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket