Author Topic: Roll Bar swap  (Read 461 times)

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Roll Bar swap
« on: October 22, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »
Hi Guys and Girls,

I finally got sick of trying to find a roll bar/ seat belt mount that would suit my driving position in the Moke so i made my own.  I have the main hoop leaning back at 63 degrees which is about the same as the windscreen angle, added some straight braces to meet the main hoop and bingo instant seat belt mount / roll bar.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Roll Bar swap
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »
Hi,

that looks pretty.

Why did you lean it back and not just mount it further back and go vertical?

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
Nice,
It takes a fair bit of time, but..........
Sometimes you just have to make what you want 8) and make it fit what you need  ;) 8) ;D

Nice work  :)
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:47:45 AM »
I looked at quite a few options HP, i even had a 6 point cage that i was tinkering with at one stage.  I didn't want to drill holes in the body so i thought best to make one and use the existing holes. Terry laying it back was necessary to clear my right shoulder.

Dave

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 04:01:53 PM »
OK, version one is finished and on the car.  Seeing this one on the car i think perhaps 72 degrees might have been better than 63 degrees, that would put the main hoop just above the seat head rest and move the seat belt top mount  forward so it isn't such a reach.

From the side the new bar makes the Moke look longer i think.

Dave

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:40:58 PM »
HI,

I am not really a fan of the angled roll bars, but yours does at least look the best of the ones I have seen, I think because you haven't introduced a new angle by matching the bar with the windscreen and the seats.

But as you say it is V1.0 so if I was to design V.20 for you I would bend the bar vertical just above the top seat belt mount, much like the top of the seats stand vertical. And I would bring the two rear bars to meet the side bars just below the seat belt mount or lower, whatever matches the angle on the guards.

And the angle on the hood bows looks wrong, it should be more or less flat across the top between the two hoops, with maybe a slight bias towards the front.

Terry