Author Topic: Fuel lines - what type are best  (Read 327 times)

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Fuel lines - what type are best
« on: November 05, 2019, 06:54:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have just finished putting all new breather pipes along the top of my side filler (1980 Cali) fuel tank. They were the nylon type hose with the flexible hose used as joiners with clamps.

I have also just put in my nice shiny refurbed fuel sender unit (Thanks Maddog!!).

However, after reading through a heap of stuff on the forum I am seeking some clarification regarding which types of fuel lines should be used and where.

Some mention metal lines, others the standard nylon and there was also mention of marine fuel lines. Since I have everything out of the Moke what would you all recommend as the better option for my new fuel lines?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Fuel lines - what type are best
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
JHi,

for originality the nylon tube was used everywhere with rubber 'joiners'. The only metal pipes were in and out of the fuel pump.

I have never tried to source the nylon tube so not sure where you would get it it.

I prefer to use rubber everywhere as it makes it easier to thread around things in the engine bay but if you still have good tubing use that off the tank up to below the expansion tank.

I don't use SS braided covered rubber hose even though it looks pretty it tends to hide the rubber deteriorating inside so the first time you know you have a problem is when it is leaking in the engine bay.

Terry

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »
Thanks Terry... there’s a place over here in Perth called Couplers that has all things hoses/tubing so I got some new nylon tubing for my breather pipe from them so I can still get it if you think that’s the best option.

I noticed in another threat you were talking about looking into marine fuel lines as a better alternative to cars. Did you end up trying it?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 10:56:33 PM »
Hi,

that must of been an old post, i don't remember it. However I had to replace fuel line on a skiboat of mine years ago with marine grade SS braided stuff and that is where I got my dislike for the stuff.

Good to hear the nylon stuff is still around.

Terry

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:09:04 PM »
Well if you reckon I should stick to the original stuff then that’s what I’ll do, thanks for that Terry.