Author Topic: A broken drive flange  (Read 282 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

A broken drive flange
« on: December 20, 2019, 07:24:32 PM »
Hi,

last night a Moke, an ex Darwin Moke of mine, rolled up at the xmas light cruise with an extreme amount of negative camber and a serious amount of movement in the front left wheel. Getting the wheel off showed the big nut had a couple of turns to go before it was going to fall off and let the rest of the drum assembly drop off, so very lucky to catch it but no idea how it was not noticed while driving.

Digging around in the grease and metal bits I worked out the drive flange had broken off about two thirds of the way along the tube with the spline in it. Normally you see the CV break, but this was a new one for me. Because of some burring the collar and the some of the shaft where stuck on the CV and the rest was attached to the drum.

So we cleaned up the grease, threw away the bearing seal that was supplying the metal bits, pack in some grease, took the burs off the spline and tightened it all up and it was solid as. They drove to the first display, but the wife didn't want to risk a ride in a  tow truck so they drove home with no problems.

Terry