Author Topic: Front Lower Arm Removal Drama  (Read 578 times)

SurfMon

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades...
Front Lower Arm Removal Drama
« on: January 02, 2020, 01:19:20 AM »
Happy New Year Everyone... preparing to replace the front lower arm bushings and tie rod.  When I look at a few You Tube videos for this (usually on a British Mini) they whole front subframe is off.  I'm pretty sure the lower arm can come off without all that... refer to attached pic...

Any advice for how to get the lower arm off to replace the bushings ?

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Front Lower Arm Removal Drama
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:16:40 AM »
Here is your pic SurfMon.

Was uploaded, just not copied and pasted here.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
Hi,

tip for when reinstalling is to use a set of Vyse-Grips to clamp the large round locator(other end to the thread) into position in the subframe until you can get the nut on and done up, in fact the Vyse-Grips will normally fall off as you get near the end of the thread. It also makes it easier to get the nut on the other end.

You can see in the inset picture that the bushes are tapered towards the centre. Early model Mokes(and Minis) have arms with no taper and require a different bush.

There are also bushes available that do not have the shoulder on them, just a smaller bevel going back the other way. Don't buy them, they don't last as well as the shouldered variety. I also have a preference to use the rubber bushes over the coloured urethane bushes, but it has been a awhile since I used them so maybe there are better quality urethane bushes on the market now. And while you are there make sure the front mount bushes(out of the picture on the top right) are in good order or replace them too.

And I normally only undo the bigger nut on the ball joint and leave the tie rod(or castor bar) attached if I am not replacing the front bushes but I loosen the nut at the front of the sub frame and the smaller one on the right in the picture. You want there to be free movement all round and you want everything connected before you tighten all the bolts back up otherwise you will do a lot of grunting trying to get it back together.

Terry

SurfMon

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:07:40 AM »
HalfPint - thanks for sorting out the photo for me.
Terry - Good advice... as far as getting the arm unbolted and out, will it be as easy as knocking the bushings bolt out with a hammer ?
I guess I just need to man-up and start taking it apart... we'll know soon enough.  Thanks mate.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 12:28:26 PM »
Hi,

undo the nut on the end and use a lever behind the large almost circle and it should come out. Don't try and bash it out by hitting the small threaded end.

It is not uncommon for the metal tube inside the bush to rust onto the lower arm pin so you may have to remove that from the pin also once it is out.

Terry

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »
WOW
I want a phone that can take photos like Halfpint's can.
Hmm looking at my new phone it has 4 cameras.Maybe i should read the instructions.
Impressed.