Author Topic: Canberra Moke back on the road  (Read 367 times)

Pauly-built

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Canberra Moke back on the road
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
Hi all,

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself and moke.

Firstly, thank you to everyone that contributes to this site, its been very useful as I've been tinkering.. Dont know a lot about cars but I've been learning as I go 😊

I purchased my moke close to 15 years ago when I was still in school as my girlfriend at the time (now wife) had a yellow mini and I thought it would be fun if I had a yellow moke to match. Travel, marriage, kids and life took over so only just got around to "finishing" it recently.

It's a 74 yellow moke with an 1100 engine. Had some modifications done to it prior to me getting it, including bigger exhaust and different gear box (not sure what type but the gear stick pops up just before the handbrake) as well as a custom dash. No canopy or roll bar.

The guy I purchased it from crashed it into a gutter and broke the rear trailing arm and had it sitting under a gumtree for 5 years which did a lot of damage but thankfully most of the car was still together.  So the poor thing has been sitting idle for 20 years!

Finally got it registered the other week and I was told that it has lived in QLD, NSW and ACT.  The dash is pretty unique so hoping someone might recognise it and know the history.

Happy to post some pics if permitted and people are interested 😁

Cheers,
Paul

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Canberra Moke back on the road
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »
Hi,

thanks for sharing your story.

I have updated your access so you will be able to upload some pictures to share now.

Terry

Pauly-built

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 03:01:14 PM »
Some pics below

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 01:29:38 PM »
That is a nice Moke Paul,
Good to see you have it back on the road after so long.
A very unique dash, thats for sure. I dont think I've seen one like that before. Its a shame there is no access to the shelf's, if their still in there of course.
Look forward to seeing some drives you go on.
Thanks for the story as well, I bet there's a lot more to it though.

Cheers
Halfpint.
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Pauly-built

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 02:39:03 PM »
Thanks Halfpint!  :)

Still a heap that I'd like to do but it's good to finally drive it after all these years.

Yeah, the shelf has been removed. I'll have to think of some way to store my stuff because I'm just waiting for my wallet and phone to fall out of my pockets!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 12:48:36 AM »
Still a heap that I'd like to do but it's good to finally drive it after all these years.
Yeah, the shelf has been removed. I'll have to think of some way to store my stuff because I'm just waiting for my wallet and phone to fall out of my pockets!
Try and get as many drives in as you can when the weather permits. Summer is harsh with no roof, so night drives are great fun.
And dont get me started on the first time some shopping flew off the front seat after a quick trip to the shop, or the countless sunnies that have flown off the shelf at round a bouts  ::), all part of the game of Moking I'm afraid  :).
HP

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.