Author Topic: Any thoughts  (Read 556 times)

Green is nice

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Any thoughts
« on: January 06, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »
Hi all,

I am trying to get an idea on a few costs and how much work I want to do to my moke.

I would be grateful if someone has any ideas on the following.

Cost for new; clutch, brake booster, convert drum to disc
How to lessen slack in gear shiftier
Replace solenoid for start motor
Best carburetor
Best option or options to improve performance of car

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Any thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 09:56:13 PM »
Hi Scott,

Congrats on the Moke purchase, I to have a 1977 Moke and like you i am relatively new to the Moke world.  I bought mine in March 2018.  I started out thinking that Mokes/Minis would be cheap to work on and modify, oh how wrong I was lol.

My first mods were under the car, adjustable suspension etc, said modifications were actually quite cheap in the scheme of things, then I got offered an A plus 1275 for a price i couldn't say no to.   If my wife ever works out how much i have really spent on the car, well it just doesn't bear thinking about.  Like they say if I die someone stop her from selling the car for what I said it cost me!

The enjoyment i get out of driving the Moke is priceless, i have had all sorts of hi performance cars over the years but nothing compares to the fun i get from the Moke.  Has anyone mentioned the disease? Moke Acquisition Disease, MAD for short, i have 2 mokes now and i am still looking for another?  I don't think there is a vaccination available as a cure, so be warned.

Enjoy your Moke and make it yours.

I have relo's down in Tootgarook so you never know we may cross paths, two green 1977 Mokes would look great together.

Cheers
Dave

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest you get the Moke checked out by someone that knows what they are talking about and find out what you have got and what issues are present so you know what you are starting with. There might be big costly issues you aren't aware of lurking in your Moke or it could be badly set up and simple tune and adjust makes it a much more enjoyable drive.

Get to know what you have got before you get too excited about changing things. :)

Roughly, plus labour if you aren't doing it yourself.
Disc brakes are $1200-1500
Solenoid $30
gear linkages, try this page for some articles on how to adjust the clutch and reco the change box https://www.moke.com.au/in-the-garage/gearbox

If you put up some photos of the Moke and of the engine bay we can help identify what you have and don't have.

Terry

Green is nice

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 10:50:53 PM »
Thank you both for your suggestions.
Terry I have sent you a message via Tony Half Pint.
Hope to chat soon.