Author Topic: Removing Speedo drive  (Read 540 times)

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
Removing Speedo drive
« on: January 27, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
Hi all,

Quick question. Has anyone had issues with a very stubborn Speedo drive? I am trying to remove my old one to transfer it to a new gearbox, but it won't budge. I would use heat etc but am concerned that I may damage the gears.

Thanks,
James

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Removing Speedo drive
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 07:40:50 AM »
G'day James,
The speedo drive should slip out pretty easily. The shaft will turn a little as the gear unwinds itself.

The shiney brown substance, could it be some sort of a sealant thats been used to fix an oil leak? That would make it hard to budge.
If you use a bit of flat bar and cut a small slot to go over the square drive and use it like a key to give it a wiggle, it should free up. 

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:20:48 AM »
Hi,

I would say not to use heat as there is a plastic cog/worm on the other side of the side of what you can see that would likely melt.

You could take the end plate off the gearbox and that should give you access to the other side and you might be able to push it out.

Terry

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 09:18:44 PM »
I think it may be loctited in. No luck with brute force, so I think I'll be looking for a new one

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »
I think it may be loctited in. No luck with brute force, so I think I'll be looking for a new one
Im not sure of a brown loctite, usually red, blue or even a yellow'ish wick in style product.

Maybe if you take the whole cover off like Terry suggested, it will make it easier to break the seal.
Sounds like your not going to re use the gear box?  James, still wrap it up in plastic to stop the work shop sweeping dust getting in. Never know if you might need something from it in the future.

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 09:41:35 PM »
Thanks HP,

Already off the gearbox and still no luck, even using a hammer and bench vice. The brown is dirt and grime from a very dirty gearbox case, but there was a tinge of red around the edges of the bush. The old gearbox will be kept in a sealed plastic box for safe keeping, once I can transfer over a few of the old bits and pieces to the new one.

James