Author Topic: Converting my old copper radiator to aliminium  (Read 633 times)

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Converting my old copper radiator to aliminium
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
Hi Mastro,

It probably looks a bit "uncluttered" ( now that's a word i would never have associated with my engine bay) because i don't run a mechanical engine fan.

My car runs way too cold, I run a 71 c thermostat and the engine struggles to get hot enough to run at 70 on a cool day.

The brackets are for a forward facing thermostat housing so they mount round the other way from your bracket.

OK, I just found the "GT" bracket, i have added a pic of all 3 brackets together so you can see the difference.

BTW, if you want the GT bracket send me your address and i'll post it up to you.

Cheers
Dave

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »
Ah Ok so that is what those extra solenoids and the wiring going to the front of the radiator are about.  So your running an electric thermo on the front of your side mounted radiator. 
I was fixated on the no bracket and gap between the mechanical fan and radiator thinking how easy it would be to change a radiator belt ;-)
BTW thanks for your kind offer but I still don't really know what I need till I try and assemble what I have.

Thanks Brad
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:09:55 PM by Maystro »

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 07:41:05 PM »
Ok I finally got to assembly with some of my parts and still a no go. 

The problem is that pesky top radiator bracket.  I used a Minisport CAM4619 which looks like the longest bracket available and it's still about 10 mil short.  Is there any other options or brackets available.  Surely I'm not the only guy in the world that has put a front facing radiator in a late model Moke? 
The radiator cowling is still in the same spot and fits perfect on the bottom bracket.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:55:55 PM by Maystro »

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 07:13:30 AM »
Hi Maystro,  I had a similar problem when i went to a 4 core in my 1977 Moke.  I ended up making a bracket to suit, the pic below shows it still on the 998 engine.  I'm thinking you might have to do the same to keep fan clearance and have it sit flush with the body shroud.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »

The bracket looks like it is upside down and it should be picking up the stud on the other side of the outlet. It may not solve your issue but I am pretty sure the bracket steps down to the radiator.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 09:22:59 PM »
Just a bad photographer, it is stepping down and I'm sure it's on the right 2 studs.   

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 06:24:07 PM »
I just had another look at that bracket and I was wrong, it is stepping up to the radiator but that gives me the correct height and it only seems to go on that way.   

I think I might have to do what Drakman suggested and make up a custom bracket or add a 15mm extension to this new bracket.

Thanks guys.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 06:44:03 PM »
Hi,

The holes seem to line up, what is it fouling on when you try and pull the radiator up to the holes?

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 07:31:22 PM »
Hi Terry "good observation"   ;)

The problem is if I pull the radiator over to meet the radiator bracket,  the top of the fan hits my new shiny radiator, also when I do this the radiator is not a true vertical.  So everything else aligns up nicely except for my top bracket being about 15 mil to short.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
Hi,

I wouldn't worry about it not being true vertical too much and as for the fan hitting the radiator I would be looking for what spacer(s) you have behind the fan and see if you can bring the fan back closer to the engine.

And the gap between the top of the radiator and the bolt-on shroud looks a bit wide. On occasions I have had to grind out the corners of the shroud to get a nicer fit. Of course this might make your clearance situation worse as it would bring the radiator closer to the fan.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »
Hi Terry,

I'm a stickler for detail and if the radiator didn't align up perfectly with the built in body shroud I wouldn't be happy every time I opened up my bonnet which hopefully isn't too often.

My fan however is on a double fan blade pulley with a really big spacer which puts the fan about 10mm from the radiator and inside the rad shroud.  So I do have close tolerances I am working with. 
Also with all that I was able to do the jack up the engine method and slot the whole radiator and shroud in one piece. 

However I think I just found the bracket I need.  Apparently their is 2 different brackets.  One for 1960-1971 for 850,998,1100 which I think is the one I have and another longer one for 1971-1975 for 998 and and 1100's. 

Anyway I ordered one...you can never have enough left over Moke parts.  A fellow Mokey is always looking for something ;-)