Author Topic: Respraying Gal Body  (Read 662 times)

drocelot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Respraying Gal Body
« on: February 17, 2020, 03:00:08 PM »
Hi All,

My 1980 Gal body is rust free put the paint is really quite poor, so I will respray it. For the sake of the issues around sanding back the GAL and having it bead blasted. I plan to spray in primer and fill accordingly then respray. Is this a desirable path and will it work ?

cheers

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Respraying Gal Body
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 03:17:58 PM »
Hi,

I have seen the results of this company removing the paint but leaving the gal on the Moke, https://www.theblastfactory.com.au/, and i have used them for other project so if I had a gal body to clean up I would start with them.

For Gal you want to look at an etch primer but a chat to a decent auto paint supplier might be able to give you some particular brands or tips.

Terry

drocelot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 03:21:04 PM »
Im really not keen on blasting it. The paint is fairly ok just really needs a couple of coats.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
Hi,

if it is an original paint job and the paint is patchy like a lot on them then painting over it looks good for awhile until the paint that hadn't lifted already decides to lift and ruins your new paint coat. Sanding back the gal is problematic because you will probably cut through the gal on the surface and then you don't have the gal protection.

Glass bead and or soda blasting can remove the paint without removing the gal so you retain the protection and get an overall better long lasting finish, assuming you do the prep and paint properly as well.

Terry

Boydie

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    74 MOKE UTE, 80 GAL BODY & 1963 Mini 850
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 12:28:30 PM »
Yep wat Terry said go soda blast it only removes the paint givin you the gal fence look  :o
AUSTRALIA  We eat meat, Drive Mokes
                   We drink beer
& We speak bloody English

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 03:10:08 PM »
I used paint stripper on my Gal body
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 01:04:28 AM »
I’m planning to have my Gal body glass blasted in the next couple of weeks.  I was going to have an epoxy primer applied.  Is this as effective as the etch primer?

Tim.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »
I’m planning to have my Gal body glass blasted in the next couple of weeks.  I was going to have an epoxy primer applied.  Is this as effective as the etch primer?

Tim.

As I understand it, it is not. Check with your local auto paint shop for the exact details. I got caught out last year putting the wrong primer on a roll bar as the guy in the shop said one was for bare metal and the other for going over a covering. Etch I think was the one for going over an existing covering, i.e. Gal.

Terry

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 12:17:17 PM »
Ok.  I’ll make sure to be very specific with the body shop.  I don’t want to see paint flaking off.... again...

drocelot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 04:23:54 PM »
Hi guys ive decided to go the whole hog on get the body stripped. The blast factory in coburg looks like a good option, except Im on the mornighton peninsula. Also it would be awesome if I could find a company that does the soda blasting and painting.