Author Topic: moke carbs  (Read 257 times)

brit mick

• Registered Member

moke carbs
« on: February 20, 2020, 10:06:51 PM »
Hi all,
Im new to your forum, all the way from uk!
I am having problems fitting larger carbs to my moke engine, the moke is 1972, ex australian.
I have been informed by a well known moke man, that the australian moke bulkhead is different than the english one, in that there is a large dish in the bulkhead below the speedo , is this correct, as my moke has no dish, as I want to fit a 138o cc engine, it looks like I may have to alter the bulkhead to allow a bigger carb, does any one have a pic of the bulkhead with the dish shown?
Any usefull help will be much appreciated!
cheers,Mick

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: moke carbs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:48:39 AM »
Hi Mick,
Welcome aboard.
Not sure I understand what what you meen by "Larger Carbs", is it a Webber or Twin SU's or going to an 1 3/4 " SU?

Here is a pic from my '81 Moke before paint.

And this is my '66 Moke.

I am not sure when the bulkhead was changed, but I thought it was around '68 when the Big wheel started.

Halfpint

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:53:15 AM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
Hi,

The first time the bulkhead changed to accept the larger carby was on the 1971-73 Export Mokes bodies(1275 with 1.5" SU) only and then it reappeared 75-76'ish for all bodies from then on.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 08:45:01 AM »
Well there you go, thanks Terry.
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

brit mick

• Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:08:18 AM »
many thanks to you all, for your help, it appears my moke does not have the modified bulkhead, but it soon will have!
brit mick

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »
Take a look here what I have done.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »
many thanks to you all, for your help, it appears my moke does not have the modified bulkhead, but it soon will have!
brit mick

Where is the Carby fouling on the body/bulkhead? If you have some pictures of the carby and manifold you are using we might be able to provide more useful advice.

In Pavel's picture(of a Mini) that allows for OEM manifolds and carbies to be used where as what HP and I where referring too was the depression in the firewall to handle the larger donut air cleaner that was used in Australia on the standard 1.5" SU carby.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

brit mick

• Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 09:27:49 PM »
Hi Mick,
Welcome aboard.
Not sure I understand what what you meen by "Larger Carbs", is it a Webber or Twin SU's or going to an 1 3/4 " SU?

Here is a pic from my '81 Moke before paint.

And this is my '66 Moke.

I am not sure when the bulkhead was changed, but I thought it was around '68 when the Big wheel started.

Halfpint

Hi Half pint, I have finally started to fit a metro 1300 engine to my moke. I can see by all the helpfull pics you guys have posted, that I will have to modify my bulkhead, so that the HF 44 I would like to fit, will go into the bulkhead space. We now have the blasted corona virus, that is confining us to our homes, so it may be a while before my moke hits the road again, stay safe and keep on moking. Mick

Edit - Removed doubled up Halfpint quote - Newie
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:49:18 AM by Newie »

Abatge

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 09:32:50 PM »
Mick I am fitting a Weber Carbie to my Moke and have put the below cutout in the firewall.
Andrew
Andrew

71 Moke (Total Rebuild in progress)

"Its all about the ride not the destination"