Author Topic: Little Red Morris  (Read 443 times)

Scrivo151

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Little Red Morris
« on: February 27, 2020, 01:07:32 PM »
Picked up little red the other week, my 4yo daughter an I did the adventure to Gympie from the Gold Coast to pick it up.
Purchased sight unseen only afew photos and wow lot more rust than I thought.

Abit of help from Terry on the forum and its identified as a 1967-68 little wheeler in red colour.

Got it home now and time for the fun of stripping it down and getting it back to its former glory.

Just need some help adding photos keeps saying invalid file format. trying JPG and JPEG from photos on my iphone.

Cheers

Scrivo151

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Little Red Morris
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »
With the front subframe out and steering rack Iv decided to give the rack a quick restoration.
One of the ball joints is fairly stiff to rotate on the left side.
Is this normal or should I adjust it. To adjust do i drill out the punch closest to the tie rod end?
It is a TRW steering rack.
One of the rods that the tie rod end is slightly(about 1.5-2mm) bent about 2cm in from the thread would this affect anything?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »
Hi,

If the ball joint is a bit stiff that one is probably the good one, if they are sloppy and easy to move with your fingers than they need adjusting. Bottom ball joints are spring loaded so even when they are a bit worn they still feel firm.

With the subframe out I would undo the ball joints, remove the spring and then do them up and see how firm they feel.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Scrivo151

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:43:23 PM »

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 02:08:10 PM »
That project looks exciting!  I would love to nurse that Moke back up to full health again.  Please keep posting pictures as you work your way through it.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:24:20 PM »
That project looks exciting!  I would love to nurse that Moke back up to full health again.  Please keep posting pictures as you work your way through it.
A couple of new tyres and clean the windscreen and its good go   ;) , and maybe a little rubber pad replaced on the accelerator pedal  ;D

These little wheelers are sure becoming harder and harder to find with minimal rust.
Does it have the extra bracing in the rear wheel arch? The very early 66/67 didnt.

Have fun with it, it may take a little while.

Cheers
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Scrivo151

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 10:28:21 PM »
Sadly it’s got a fair amount of rust in the floor but nothing unmanageable, going to need some new floor pans throughout tho.

Rear subframe coming out tomorrow so I’ll get some more photos up.
Looking forward to going back original with it.

Scrivo151

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
Not sure on the bracing? what would i be looking for?
Rear subframe out and stripped.
Discovering a small amount of rusted out holes in the cross section and dents and thinning. Has anyone else had to repair this section and what would be the best approach? are the dents needed or could I cut the damaged section out and weld flat.

Peter_n_Margaret

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 06:58:09 PM »
They look like stiffening ribs to me.
Cheers,
Peter
New Moke owner. Lots to learn.
Exploring Australia in a DIY OKA motorhome.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »
Hi,
This plate with the vertical ribs was added very early on, just not for a yr or two.

I thought I had a better pic of my 66 model Moke.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:30:55 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 09:52:56 PM »
Hi,

where the subframe mounts at the rear looks like it is going to need some replacement bits. I have made up my own years ago but I think you can buy the main piece now.

According to an article in The Mini Experience the reinforcement panel pictured in HP's post was first fitted around 4 months into production in Australia.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 01:51:39 AM »

Abit of help from Terry on the forum and its identified as a 1967-68 little wheeler in red colour.

According to an article in The Mini Experience the reinforcement panel pictured in HP's post was first fitted around 4 months into production in Australia.

I cant see the reinforcing plate  ???
If this is correct, it would make your Moke a very early build, 1966.
I thought it was a bit later than 4 months, a problem with cracking around the shockie mounts brought about the production line change, well that is what I thought brought it about.

Either way, an early little wheeler is awsome if you can restore it and put it back on the road  8)

HP

Scrivo151

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 04:26:43 AM »
Thanks heaps for the reply’s guys, it great learning more and more about these great Aussie built vehicles and the in-depth production history.

What would be the best way around the rust in the rear subframe, the rest of it is fairly solid and straightened out nicely.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »
I cant see the reinforcing plate  ???
If this is correct, it would make your Moke a very early build, 1966.
I thought it was a bit later than 4 months, a problem with cracking around the shockie mounts brought about the production line change, well that is what I thought brought it about.

Either way, an early little wheeler is awsome if you can restore it and put it back on the road  8)

HP

HP,

I have a little wheeler with no reinforcing panel on the rear, I think its build number is in the high 2000's. there is a guy in Paynesville and the panel on his moke is bolted in which was weird, I wonder if  the panels were fitted latter buy the dealer.

Scrico,

I think all rear subframes are the same so might be easier to track down another one.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Scrivo151

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 04:07:24 PM »
Sourcing a good replacement rear subframe is proving fun on the Gold Coast, starting to think about repairing this one as the rust is minimal
Cutting out the old floor repair today, sure is solid with 7mm plate steel welded in there