Author Topic: Dad's Gal Moke  (Read 1813 times)

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    The truly galvanised Moke
Dad's Gal Moke
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:10:30 PM »
Hi All!

I recently contacted Terry and got to talking about Dad's '81 Moke, which we have just blown the dust off after about twenty years of sitting out in the weather. Thought I'd better share it's story here

It started life as a guard's vehicle to patrol the perimeter of a chemical factory somewhere in Melbourne. It was originally painted Red, and Dad bought it around '88. He bought it because it had the Bronco canopy and absolutely no rust - out of the three mokes he'd owned around the time (one of which had hydrolastic suspension), this was the only one that was in perfect nick in regards to rust.

He used to take his mokes to the football, and found it impossible to keep the paintwork good due to this. He would leave to grab a pie and come back to find the vehicle crawling with kids, hanging off everything except the rear view mirror, hence the industrial strength hot-dip gal job. Nobody wanted to gal it - they all told him he was delusional, but he finally managed to convince Furphy's in Shepperton to entertain him after he got in touch with one of their biggest clients! After three months of sandblasting the body and subframes with a 10CMF 1-cylinder compressor, with sand up his nose and in his ears, and in a few other places, the Moke made the cover of a galvanising magazine.

Around this time he owned 11 cars with A series engines, and finally got ahold of a 1275 engine. Twelve months later, the engine was all done up - everything except for the head. First gear was a bit average, as was second & second's bulk ring, but third gear was perfect and fourth had obviously never been used. We figure the guards must have putted around their factory in second gear non-stop.

Within a month after it had been galvanised, it was off and racing. He drove it to South Australia in his shorts, with a perfect tan-line around the seatbelt region. Twenty years ago it was parked in the backyard, and I came along around the same time.

About to get my P's (if not for Caronavirus) I decided to push him to get it going again. My grandfather and I took it apart and painted the bullbar, rear bumper, dash and rollbar, and then we bought another 1275 off of a bloke in NSW on gumtree.

We got the 1275 shipped home and began stripping it apart. Bits of it were in baths of costic soda, other bits in tubs soaking in degreaser - and I looked up the engine number. Turns out it was stolen 28 years ago, and now it's in a million pieces!

Dad and I went down to the local cop shop and after a couple of weeks we managed to track down the bloke who owned it. We bought it off him, and once that was sorted we started the rebuild. It's now back in one piece, and we've painted it up and got it running. In the meantime, we've ripped out the front subframe and disassembled it ready to be painted up.

Here are some photos of our progress over the last few months:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:59:25 PM by Sharks »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Dad's Gal Moke
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 11:08:44 AM »
Hi,

thanks for sharing your story.

I have had a positive reply on getting a copy of the magazine your Moke was featured in, but I need to wait for the guy to be allowed back to his office to see if he has the issue in question.

Terry

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
Hey Terry,

Thanks for looking into that - would be awesome to see it. Keep us updated!

FNQ

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 07:19:03 PM »
Great bit of history, thanks for sharing. You may not be allowed to drive the highly powered moke on your P plates ( kidding ), best of luck when you get on the road.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 08:33:08 PM »
FNQ it might be interesting actually - we're putting in one of those upgraded five speed straight cut gearboxes, and the block is at least 80 thou over. Hopefully vic roads won't see that as a performance enhancement great enough to stop me from scooting around.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 08:54:28 PM »
FNQ it might be interesting actually - we're putting in one of those upgraded five speed straight cut gearboxes, and the block is at least 80 thou over. Hopefully vic roads won't see that as a performance enhancement great enough to stop me from scooting around.
Woohoo, an engine and a driver on the edge  ;D, and a 5 speed box, never tried one of them yet  :)
Looking forward to hearing how that goes for you.
Go hard Sharks, just please be careful with the Moke  :), as you are just experiencing and learning, they take a fair bit of maintaining if you drive them hard.
Funny, my Son has been working in Bendigo the last 6 months on a project, shame he has finished now, he loves the Mokes as well. Would have been good for you both to catch up for a yap before all these restrictions came in.
Stay in touch, Mokes are fun, just can be a bit of work.
Cheers
Halfpint
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 09:05:26 PM »
Hey Halfpint.

Never fear - I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun in the Moke, but I'm not going to treat it too rough. I want to spend time driving it, not sleeving and boring it's cylinders!

The restrictions are a bit of a pain, but at least it means we don't have much better to do. This project may actually have an end in the foreseeable future!

I'll keep you updated and post some more photos once we make a bit more progress  ;D

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 09:26:08 PM »
I have no doubt you will have heaps of fun driving the Moke, thats a given  ;)
What I find so cool about you, is you have your Dad and your Grandad helping you to enjoy such a great Car. Please keep them involved, you wont ever regret the time you spend with them im sure  8)
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 08:36:52 AM »
It's a bit hard to have Grandad down here because of the restrictions, but we keep him updated over the phone with everything we do. I'm sure he'll nick it as soon as we finish so he can show it off to his mates anyway  ;D

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »
Hi Sharks,  Interesting wheels, are they sunnys with the centres reversed on wider rims?

Cheers
Dave

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 09:50:21 AM »
Well spotted Dave - they are sunnies that Dad had a custom job done on years ago. They are wider - standard I believe they were 5.5, these are 6. He also had them zinc plated.

Currently stripping the enamel paint off ready for powdercoating. Perhaps these pictures will help you identify if the centers have been reversed as I have not seen enough of them to know the difference.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Hi,

the wheels were commonly made by Peco Star, now Eastern Wheel works in Lilydale,Vic., where the dish is reversed and each spoke is welded both sides to the rim unlike the normal factory Sunraysia style rim which only has four welds. I have a set of 14x6 Peco Star rims on the Gryphon.

There were other similar style wheels being made by 3rd parties with some having more pronounced bends in the spokes.

Terry

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 09:10:06 AM »
Some more progress photos. Wheels have almost no paint left on them, nearly ready to be zinced again and powdercoated. All the bits are cleaned up from the front subframe and have started on the rear. The passenger side rear hub had a bolt on it with a backwards thread which threw us a bit.

Hopefully we will start putting some bits back together today.

And once again, you were spot on Terry. The rims were done by Peco Star, and the centres are reversed and welded both sides
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:12:25 AM by Sharks »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »
Hi,

when you get your rims powder coated make sure they put the rims in the oven for a few cycles before they coat them. The Sunraysia will store moisture and other crud between the wheel centre and the rim and that needs to be 'cooked'(there is a proper term for it) before they are sealed otherwise you end up with pitting and bubbles in your final coat around the edges.

Terry

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up - we will make sure that happens!