Author Topic: Rebuilding the Moke in lockdown  (Read 1544 times)

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Rebuilding the Moke in lockdown
« on: April 18, 2020, 08:53:04 PM »
This is my first go at adding photos.    I have been very busy rebuilding the 79 model for the last 10 months and thought I would show you something that probably most Australian moke owners have not seen. While working in the shed with welders and angle grinders making new floors and dash panel.

I keep getting a couple of visitors looking in. The chicks are now coming so close that I have to stop the angle grinder because it is throwing sparks over the heads of the chicks. I don't mind the chicks coming and checking my work but definitely don't want mum any closer.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Rebuilding the Moke in lockdown
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 09:11:30 PM »
Well you've done well with the pics  ;)
I really like your dash work, Nice  8) Lokking foreward to seeing it all when its finished, it will look really good.

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:00:07 PM »
Hi Steam,  Are they Cassowaries, they have a reputation for being a bit nasty don't they?  I think you can keep them, i'll take the snakes over them any day.

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 03:05:30 PM »
Yes they are cassowaries and you are correct, can be very dangerous particularly with chicks. but I prefer that to Taipans under the bench. We are used to having the cassowary around but I am puzzled at them being so  inquisitive with the noise of the angle grinder. Should have the moke up to the paint stage in another month or so of lock down.

Abatge

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:16:19 PM »
I feel your pain replacing floor and other rusted parts.
I do like your dash set up, I am almost to that stage now deciding which way to go as I haven’t got much room behind the middle of the car as the Webber air cleaner cutout has protruded inside.
Any chance of a couple more pics of the dash from the side as well.
Also are you fitting a heater box ?

Andrew
Andrew

71 Moke (Total Rebuild in progress)

"Its all about the ride not the destination"

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 10:05:19 PM »
Abatage

No need for a heater up here, I will post more photos of the dash etc when I have painted it. I searched around a bit to find an Android head unit that would fit in there without hitting the wiper drive arm - no chance with a Webber.

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 07:57:32 PM »
Sharks

We are working in parallel moke universes. I have just finished putting the colour on the moke rebuild today, with the clear to go on later in the week. I too hope to get the engine in the subframe this week as well.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    The truly galvanised Moke
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 08:10:13 PM »
Wow Mission. Very pretty!

Once the subframes start going back together you can finally start to see your hard work paying off. It's very rewarding ;D

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 07:58:59 PM »
Sharks,   
You are getting ahead of me, I might have time this week to catch up a bit.  A question about hand brake cables, how much clearance do you have between the hand brake cable ( the bit with the return spring over it ) and the rear brake hydraulic lines where they come out of the brake slave cylinder and bend upwards ?  I only have 2/3 mm clearance, is this normal.

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 09:52:46 PM »
Sharks
I am closing the gap. No thanks to Australia Post, I am waiting for brake seals from Brisbane, posted 18 days ago !!

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 07:47:59 PM »
Finally got it out in the sun to see what the colour came out like. Now its back in the shed to remove the ##&*%^$@ brake master cylinder to see why there is no pressure to the rear wheels.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 08:02:45 PM »
Its just a nice feeling to get it out into the sunshine after many hrs in the shed isnt it  :)
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »
You are so right, but I am not looking forward to getting that master cylinder out. It may be character building, but it is also spine crippling. Have you had any experience with problem master cylinders ?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 09:12:34 PM »
Hi,

before you take the master cylinder out check if you have fluid to the rear. It could be a blocked inertia valve, if you have the twin master it could be a bleeding technique issue, blocked/crimped lines running to the back wheels, seized cylinders. Rarley do you have to take the MC off to fix a problem.

You can also put  bleed nipple in place of the front line outlet and block any movement and that will enable you to isolate the rear system until you get it working properly.

Terry

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 09:38:58 PM »
Thanks Terry good advise which I will follow, but my problem is there is no fluid coming out of the rear circuit (top) of the master cylinder that is before it gets down to the pressure valve. I have just fitted a new 8.4 disk kit to the front and new slave cylinders to the rear as well as a seal kit through the brake master cylinder and clutch cylinders.
Have great pressure on the front calipers. Hope I have not put the lower seal in the upper piston in the wrong way around or the little stainless check valve (washer) is not stuck. All brake lines have been removed cleaned and painted before refit.

Mission