Author Topic: ‘72 Aussie Moke in UK- EV Conversion  (Read 542 times)

Forestway

• Standard
  • Registered Member

‘72 Aussie Moke in UK- EV Conversion
« on: April 24, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »
Hi All,
First post here but been reading for a while... not so much activity on the other moke Forum, and as mine is an Aussie moke hope you don’t mind me joining.

So, as the headline I bought this moke in excellent condition with the sole intention of doing an EV conversion, it came to me without an engine with a few ££ knocked off.
I run a Marine Electrical Company, so I’m confident with the electrical side of things and the Mechanical’s as simple as any car could be, but having owned, repaired and upgraded many cars I’ve never actually owned a mini... but I have always wanted a moke.

This conversion will have 33.6Kwh of batteries from a wrecked Tesla model X, and a Netgain Hyper 9HV motor, although it may have a gearbox, it won’t have a shifter as 120hp / 173fp (235NM) will be plenty 2nd or 3rd... depending on the final ratios.

I wont get into much more detail , or I won’t have anything for the build thread.
I will post some pics -once I’ve worked out how.

Cheers all

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: ‘72 Aussie Moke in UK- EV Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »
Hi,

welcome.

I have updated your account so you will see options for the Gallery to upload any images.

Terry

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 11:10:38 PM »
Welcome to the board!  I saw the start of your thread on the other site and am interested to see what you come up with.  I'm currently in the middle of my build which will have an A-series.  I am making provisions as I go through the metal work to make an EV conversion easier in the future - mostly related to the side compartments for future battery storage.

Tim.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »
Welcome,
I have been following your thread as well, the Hyper 9 would be my choice also, and when I looked into costing all the components, I was forced to wait until I win LOTO , wont be long I hope  ;D

Looking forward to watching how you deal with a gearbox or diff type set up to get all that power to the wheels  8)
Oh the fun  ;D
Cheers
Halfpint
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »
Have you seen these? Netgain Hyper9 with a diff/final drive that converst them to east-west. Not cheap, but pretty, and much lighter than a conventional gearbox. From electric Classic Cars in the UK.

People are getting good results with Nissan Leaf drivetrains. Still as expensive as all get-out in Australia, but I believe they're easier to come across in the UK.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 10:53:56 PM »
That looks slick!  Keep posting photos... my gas engine hasn’t had any work done to it yet... 😎