Author Topic: Remove Engine ?  (Read 476 times)

drocelot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Remove Engine ?
« on: April 30, 2020, 10:41:36 AM »
Hi i need to remove the engine to paint the engine bay and clean up the subframe.

I want to replace the clutch, inner CV's some oil leaks and the gearbox sloppiness.... I've read so many conflicting articles regarding engine out the top or the bottom

What would you recommend?

Pre10der

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Moke owner since 1998

• Personal Text
    Mokes look better in red.
Re: Remove Engine ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 11:33:01 AM »
Every Moke owner needs to have one of these experiences :)

https://minimoke.weebly.com/dismantling.html
1978 Californian | 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes.
Full details on resto at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »
Hi,

if you are removing the sub frame to give the body a full metal restore then take the sub frame and engine out the bottom. If you are leaving the sub frames on the body and just having the colour cleaned ff then take the engine out the top.

Terry

drocelot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »
How do you remove the CV's ?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »
Hi,

when you are taking the engine up and out of the Moke then you need to undo the top ball joints and steering tie rod end so that the hubs fall away from the subframe and then as the engine starts to get raised you can undo the clip around the rubber boot and then remove the shafts with the boots and just pick up the ball bearings(6 each side) and the shafts and hubs will stay on the sub frame while the engine goes up.

Terry

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »
Not withstanding Terrys advice, I do it slightly differently.
If engine out the top with CV joints, I use a wedge or large flat screwdriver to drift the CV complete out of the gearbox. They are held in with a C clip over the spline shaft which needs a sharp snap type lever action to overcome then slide from spline as engine goes up.
Also make sure to undo the engine earth below clutch housing and as the engines is coming up, the speedo cable becomes more accesible to unscrew.
Cheers Dave..
Cheers, Dave

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »
Hi,

going along with Steam's method make sure you have drained the oil from the engine first otherwise the oil will come out the gap where the CV's were. And using two flat screwdrivers on opposite side each other on the CV to lever them out can make it easier to get over the C clip and lever off the diff so that the points of the screwdrivers don't damage the seals in the diff.

Another technique is this one, https://www.moke.com.au/in-the-garage/drivetrain/94-removing-driveshafts-from-inboard-cvs

Terry

drocelot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »
Hi thaks guys, Im going to do the Steam approach, as Im sending the car off minus the engine to be sprayed. I'm assuming I have to remove the drive shafts completely. Whats a good way to protect the hIBs whilst its being worked on ?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 10:59:28 AM »
Hi,

I leave the driveshaft, and in this case the CV's, in the car and wrap the ends in a couple of strong plastic bags and then duct tape it onto the shaft and that way they can turn and nothing falls out or gets coated in paint.

You need the outer CV in the hub to hold the drive flange which holds the wheel therefore removing the driveshafts from the outer CV and then trying to refit them is a PIA.

Terry

drocelot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
ok thanks terry, I have to change the inner cv boots anyway. So Ill leave the shafts on until the car comes back ill then attack them before putting the engine back in.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
ok thanks terry, I have to change the inner cv boots anyway. So Ill leave the shafts on until the car comes back ill then attack them before putting the engine back in.

Using the link on Mokewerx as a guide you could knock the inner CV's off while the engine is out, before it goes away, and then you can replace the CV boots and have everything sealed ready to slip back in when it comes time to fit the engine. Just make sure you have someone to hold the driveshaft when you try and tap the inner CV off otherwise you can knock it out of the outer CV.

Terry

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »
You may not have the spares for this method but I remove the complete halfshaft and put a old dismantled outer joint back in.
Cheers, Dave