Author Topic: New to the wonderfull world of mokes  (Read 424 times)

Simz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

New to the wonderfull world of mokes
« on: May 04, 2020, 08:10:04 PM »
Hi Everyone

First time user

Just purchased a moke and the old owner told me a few things about its history, but very vauge, so i have been digging around the internet to try and make some sense of it all. So i came accross the moke forum. I have purchased the moke with a VIN number starting with 030c0b1m12 and an engine number starting with 12ydtah. I have seen these numbers come up on some threads in the forum, but not heaps of info. I was told about 200 of them were built and destined to go to south african mines ??? roughly in 1972 but the plan fell through and they were released in australia in about 1794. Thats all the info i have

Any help in identification would be great

PS. Love the moke and always wanted one

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: New to the wonderfull world of mokes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:56:52 AM »
Hi,

Welcome.

What you have, going by the VIN, is a Californian Export Moke that was originally intended for an order to the US Virgin Islands and parts for 300 were ordered to be built. The deal fell through and the Mokes were relaased on the local market, and some were exported, between 1971 and 1973. Your Moke is 1973. More than 300 were built, my estimate is 1,000 were eventually made.

I have been doing some work recently on the Export Mokes including this article that describes the differences between the Californian Export Mokes and the standard Moke., https://www.moke.com.au/about/identifying-mokes/682-the-californian-export-features.

The 12YDTAH engine isn't normal to find in the Exports so it is likely it has replaced the original engine at some stage in its life.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:00:35 AM by Terry »

jps201250

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »
I trust you will be able to assist with some additional information in relation to your vehicle. I wrote the book "Australian Mini & Moke - 1961 to 1982" and as part of the ongoing research to support the book I am most interested in any vehicle of note such as yours. All the 030COB1M12 have ranged in build number 1286 to 1498 and fitted with a 1204 engine prefix not a 12Y with yours.
Any information you wish to share would be most appreciated.
John Sneddon

Simz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 08:35:48 PM »
Hi JPS

I really have no history on the car and am really trying hard ......on the internet of course..LOL.. to get some information on the history.... More than happy to share information if you let me know what sort of info you might need, pics etc. The car has been restored but it seems with some of the photos floating around on the internet light, trim and colour would not be original. I would love to find out what the original paint and trim colour was.

Sorry I really am new to this type of car  and would not know how to interpret any numbers or codes on the moke

jps201250

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 06:49:47 PM »
Does the vehicle have a build plate - if so this will answer most of the questions.
John Sneddon

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 12:17:13 PM »
Welcome Simz, good luck with your new toy.

Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"