Author Topic: Radiator removal  (Read 205 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Radiator removal
« on: May 04, 2020, 08:25:58 PM »
I tried to do the right thing and just not get on here and ask a question without looking through the archives.

I found this post.  Is this still the easiest method?

Noting that I have a brand new radiator to go in because my old one has been removed along with the shroud.

Also what is the trick about cutting some of the shroud to make the radiator removal or fan belt replacement easier later?

Removing the Mini Radiator

OK ,,, before this blows out into a frenzy of people stuffing with their radiator shrouds,,, the mini radiator is already an "Easy-out" item if you know how

There’s a simple standard easy way,,,, & then there is the "usual" misinformed , time consuming, head ache, pain in the arse way

Listen (read) & learn

Firstly, you take the 2 engine mount bolts & nuts out from the passengers side,,, then jack the engine up on that side,

2ndly you undo & remove the 2 vertical bolts that mount the bottom radiator bracket to the engine mount bracket (Not the 2 bolts that are located side ways through the lower radiator bracket to the lower radiator cowl, just leave them there),

then with the top radiator bracket & both top & bottom radiator hoses un-clamped, it’s just a matter of lifting the whole assembly, radiator with cowls attached , in one big bit, straight up & out of the hole... easy-peasy

the factory even made the later radiator cowls one piece because there really was never any reason the make it 2 pieces in the first place (except to fool the un-initiated)

It’s that easy,,, the Morris 1100 ones are even easier as they only have one bolt at the bottom.

A weenie bit of patience & a tad of practice & common sense & your radiator will be out in about 5 mins flat... & back in about 8 mins

Not all weekend like some do trying to remove all the cowl screws & removing it separately,,, WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry but this topic really gets my back up , because it’s so easy & quick doing it the "CORRECT" way

ok,,, rant over, & again sorry but dam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no offence to anyone intended, I just mean this post as a help to any & all who listen to ideas of modifying things that just really don’t need modifying.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Radiator removal
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »
Hi,

the general gist of it is the way most people who work on these things would do it, however it can sometimes not be quite that simple due to how close the radiator is to the shroud on the body and how close the fan is to the radiator due to spacers and pulley options and earlier bodies had a much wider shroud on the body all which can add up to you not having much or a enough space.

You may find if you undo the left side engine steady bracket from the firewall then you might be able to get a little more height with the engine and the jack to clear things. And if you have a metal blade fan to you will need a lot of clearance as the plastic fans can flex a bit which helps getting around the shroud as you go yup and down.

2ndly you undo & remove the 2 vertical bolts that mount the bottom radiator bracket to the engine mount bracket (Not the 2 bolts that are located side ways through the lower radiator bracket to the lower radiator cowl, just leave them there),
This line is better described as remove the two horizontal bolts that mount the lower radiator bracket to the gearbox.
A weenie bit of patience & a tad of practice & common sense & your radiator will be out in about 5 mins flat... & back in about 8 mins
And I would put aside a lot more time than a 13minutes to do this. :)

Terry
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:48:50 AM by Terry »
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:49:18 PM »
Thanks Terry for clearing up a few little grey areas I had.

I'm thinking this method might work for me because I have a late 81 Moke and a yellow plastic fan which the blades by the way are much shorter and bent looking for some reason I don't know why....maybe that is why I am on my 3rd radiator in less than 10 years.

I think I better order a new fan as well. 

I have one of those double fan pulleys which I don't know why because I only have 1 fan belt on it.   Maybe this will cause me clearance issues if I try this magical radiator removal technique? 

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:00:51 PM »
Hi,

you wont really know until you get stuck into it but what you have sounds pretty normal so give it a try.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:16:34 AM »
Hi Maystro,
Has your fan been hitting the radiator, is that why you have had to replace? Are you using Coolant and Distilled water?
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Hi,

you wont really know until you get stuck into it but what you have sounds pretty normal so give it a try.

Terry
Amazingly this method of radiator installation worked for me. 
Pfftt 8 mins maybe an hour but I was being really careful not to damage my new shiny aluminium 50mm radiator.  Which is another plus for this method I was able to get a 50 mm radiator in. 
I did have to jack the motor up a fair way so much that I had to remove the washer bottle because it was fouling on the coil.
Only other difficult problem was removing the inner engine mount bolt which is always a bitch and then aligning it up again for tightening.   Other than that I would recommend this method. 

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »
Good to hear it worked for you.
It has also worked for me, not always though.

And the time quoted, well, double it, then triple it and if you get it done in less, then its a good thing  :)

Just a shame there are differences across the models, particularly the size of the shroud like Terry has mentioned.

Which ever way you use, its not just a race for time, Its a matter of getting it removed or fitted as best as we can, if there is an easier way, its a win.

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 11:14:49 AM »
Only other difficult problem was removing the inner engine mount bolt which is always a bitch and then aligning it up again for tightening.   Other than that I would recommend this method.

If you don't have to undo the lefthand engine steady then the engine tends land back over the lower engine mount holes and if you release the pressure on the jack quickly the momentum usually gets it back in line with the holes.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016