Author Topic: Export moke questions  (Read 222 times)

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Export moke questions
« on: May 05, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »
Hi.

I'm interested in learning more about the export moke and how it differs to a standard moke. Terry's article on MokeWerx (https://www.moke.com.au/about/identifying-mokes/682-the-californian-export-features) discussed many differences including extra reflectors, different positions for lights, number plate, speedo differences, etc., however I'm also interested in how the body differs in order to accomodate other items such as the rear mounted fuel tank. Standard mokes also have an exhaust mount in the middle of the rear subframe - the exhaust would need to be different on an export model too. I've never seen a photo of the underside of an export moke and would very much like to compare it to what I am familiar with. If anyone has photos or knowledge to share I would very much appreciate it  ;D

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Export moke questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 08:04:21 PM »
Hi,

I have updated the article to include some more pictures of the rear tank mounts, exhaust path and the filler.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:06:23 PM by Terry »
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 08:20:53 PM »
A good article Terry but do you need another new keyboard?  ;)
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 02:09:07 AM »
Well done Terry on the updated Moke-Werx article.  The pictures really make it easy to understand the differences!

Tim.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 08:31:42 PM »
Hi,

with a bit of an interest in the Californian Export Mokes at the moment I have started putting up articles and pictures on each of the Exports I have on file. It is a work in progress but there is something to see for tonight's  effort. :)

https://www.moke.com.au/mokes/californian-exports

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Ruablvr2

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 10:53:41 PM »
Hello Everyone, Thanks in advance for the wealth of information I am learning from this site. I also apologise in advance for what some may see as stupid questions, but here goes. I have just purchased a Californian moke a couple of weeks ago AKFPB18Y 1978 998cc original 1 lady owner moke. My questions are. What is the difference between a "Californian Export" and a Californian? Mine has none of the features of the one in your article Terry. Sorry just learning what I have purchased and wanting to try to keep it completely original.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 09:45:51 AM »
Hello Everyone, Thanks in advance for the wealth of information I am learning from this site. I also apologise in advance for what some may see as stupid questions, but here goes. I have just purchased a Californian moke a couple of weeks ago AKFPB18Y 1978 998cc original 1 lady owner moke. My questions are. What is the difference between a "Californian Export" and a Californian? Mine has none of the features of the one in your article Terry. Sorry just learning what I have purchased and wanting to try to keep it completely original.

Marketing. :)

The Californain Export, which I read recently was originally was going to be called the Nomad, was built between '71 and '73 and is what is being discussed here. Commonly they are just called Exports, but ironically very few were exported.

The Californian Moke that you have is the marketing department bought back the name around '76/77 to sell a standard Moke with a higher level of trim so you got better looking bumpers, wheels and upholstery and later on engines and brakes got upgraded but the body is no different to a standard poverty pack Moke of the same era.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Ruablvr2

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yeah I worked out my one is just the first gen of the 78 Cali mokes without the gal body, side fill tank, 1275 engine, disc brakes. Is there anything else it missed out on? I do like some of the features mine still has. So far the body seems perfect, battery box and all the common spots seem rust free. The denim roof is good for 42 years old, with the drivers side plastic the only one that has a crack in it. The side boxes don't have much paint left on them, (from the owners dogs running up and down them,) but they look like they had a layer of galv on them. I know this isn't meant to be the case from a 78 model. I also like the bumpers front and rear and the spare wheel on the back. Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie to forums, am I meant to be asking these questions here or in a new thread/chat?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »
Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie to forums, am I meant to be asking these questions here or in a new thread/chat?

You can start a new thread(subject) in Around the Garage, https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?action=post;board=64.0, and you can share details of your Moke and people can comments and ask questions etc., it is your little space on the on the Forum to talk about your Moke.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016