Author Topic: Show us your rollcage  (Read 792 times)

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Show us your rollcage
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 05:55:52 AM »
Hi Canadian Moke,  That is a very well thought out ROPS/cage.  Are you on any of the buggy forums with the user name Methodical?

Cheers
Dave

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 08:09:40 AM »
Nope.  Never been on any of those forums.  Just a a Mini and Moke guy.

Canadian Moke

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
CM,

I would suggest you consider leaning the top of the rear bar towards the front of the car to get rid of the vertical rear face. I have seen a couple of Moke running around here years ago with the vertical back and they just look wrong, one got nick named the Munster Mobile.

The other reasons are the vertical back will increase your drag coefficient to something like a Series 1 Landrover which will affect your fuel economy, if you are going on dusty roads you will find it will invite the dust to come in and by having angle you will find you can  get better tension on the roof which can help reduce the buffeting. You wont miss the that extra little bit of space you would lose but by giving it some angle the wind can roll down the rear face and not act like an anchor.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve with the bar across the front of the dash but in a heavy front on impact that will probably do more damage than good as an average size adults knee will hit just below the parcel shelf. I had a passenger who took out my under shelf CB with knee but he still managed to limp away.

Terry

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:26:32 AM by Terry »
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
Valid points Terry.  The rear end has been a real struggle.  I too am not a fan of the more vertical look.  I like the sloping look of the Moke.  That said, with the adjustable seats in the Moke and rear seat passengers, leaning the bar forward would put it quite close to rear passengers heads.  This was one of the areas of compromise for me - loose some of that Moke flavour, but gain a little peace of mind.  It will have a slight slope on the back but only about 3" over the height.  At least from the rear it will have the Moke shape.  As for fuel economy, we have one large trip we would like to do where this would be a concern, but most of the time it will be a fun run-about car for us so the economy isn't as big a concern.

The dash bar was my way of trying to tie the cage together across the front of the car.  With standard Moke seats in their standard fixed  position this bar would then be a bit close.  With the Miata seats sitting a bit lower and farther back, our knees are well back from this bar.

Canadian Moke.

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 02:23:30 AM »
Canadian Moke-
That is some fancy and extensive bar work you've done there. I daresay that body is a whole lot more rigid and the occupants would fair a bit better in the case of a side impact. How do the removable side bars inside the rear wheel arch attach? Obviously no foreseeable clearance issues with wheels/shocks?
Nice work.
Samm

In answer to your question Samm, here are a couple of pictures of the rear under-arch bar.  Some trimming still needs to be done to the rear most bracket to get rid of the square edges.  They were left in place to give plenty of room for set-up and welding.

The picture below shows the side view of the rear bar when looking across the rear arch at a level plane.  The Moke I held the bar up against has very poor old rubber doughnuts.  There should be tons of clearance here with new rubbers and the adjustable suspension.

Canadian Moke

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
Hi,

this is a late model('80-'92) roll bar on a 1972 Moke, otherwise standard.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

moke123

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 06:36:06 PM »
Keep in mind that 6 point roll cages may be illegal in your state.  They are illegal here in WA.  You would need to check what your transport authority says about them.  In the WA regulations they refer to the federal Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14, Section LK, Seating and Occupant Protection.  https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/files/NCOP7_Section_LK_Seating_and_Occupant_Protection_1Jan2011_v2.pdf

Cheers, Graham

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the heads-up. Had not even thought looking up the legislation for Victoria.
A quick google search reveals this document: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/media/files/documents/safety-and-road-rules/vsi28_12_15_a.ashx?la=en&hash=8441D92DEE8BC17D36EDB9870B29E60E

It does appear that six point rollcages are legal here, however there are rules regarding where exactly the pipes can be placed.

Thanks,
Sharks.

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 10:11:35 PM »
Those are very different to what we've been dreaming up. Yours, Drakman, certainly has some flair, and we never thought about mounting to the floorpan like Abatge.

Hey Abatge,  nice looking roll bars. 

I want to go to 3 inch fat bars too but have clearance issues with the bottom plate overlapping the two compartment lids on both sides.  How did you get around that? 

Thanks
Brad

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Hi,

the chat about Maystro plan to build his own roll bar has been moved to this thread, https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=14139.0

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016