Author Topic: Written off Mokes - newbie question  (Read 535 times)

manyhandedman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Written off Mokes - newbie question
« on: October 15, 2020, 08:42:57 AM »
It seems to me that in some cases even the most rusted out Moke bodies get saved. In some cases entire sections from one body get used on a separate body. What are the legalities around this? I'm considering a moke that has supposedly been a project forever - the body is an 81 galv with a 77 (also galv I'm assuming) front end, with 81 compliance plate. Do Mokes get written off? In Victoria there is a register of written off vehicles - so they cannot be put back on the road (registered), but I'm thinking its much harder to identify a moke given the minimal ID stamping and replacement of parts, swapping out of motors (and in some cases compliance plates) etc. Thanks.

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Written off Mokes - newbie question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »
I guess if you have a VIN plate and top of radiator shroud with the matching number you can build and register a complete new moke - especially !!!! if you DONT tell them.

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 07:33:19 AM »
The number stamped into the firewall behind the master cylinder is also required and checked for by vicroads.
Cheers, Dave

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:15:27 AM »
The number stamped into the firewall behind the master cylinder is also required and checked for by vicroads.

The numbers stamped into the firewall behind the Masters is a production/build number used by the factory and is not relevant to registration or Vicroads. The VIN/Body number stamped on the radiator shroud is the one that matters and should match the compliance plate if one is attached. A compliance plate is required when first registering the vehicle and if not available can be replaced by previous registration history, but it is a good sign if it matches the number on the radiator.

In terms of legalities the largest single piece of the vehicle is what used to get assigned the VIN/Body number so in a Mokes case it is the shell and there was at the time no matching of other parts  of the vehicle to that VIN so you can put whatever you like on there from other Mokes and except for the engine and changes to the colour you don't have to notify Vicroads. The desk jockeys at Vicroads really don't know what they are looking at as I have seen examples VIN stamped into a plate riveted over the radiator shroud that have passed.

A statutory write off vehicle is considered to be damaged too severe to safely repair normally involving an accident and insurance companies but it doesn't really cover rust bucket Mokes that probably shouldn't be repaired unless it is involved in an accident and the assessor deems it is not able to be repaired, otherwise you just have to get it past a roadworthy inspection.

In terms of your '81 with 1977 front sub-frame then the only real concern there is how do the bumper bars mount as the '81 comes under the body while the '77 comes through the front panel, otherwise there is not difference.

Terry

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »
What you say may well be correct but I have had rego refused by vicroads because the number on the firewall did not match the vin number in vicroads records.
Cheers, Dave

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 11:30:34 AM »
What you say may well be correct but I have had rego refused by vicroads because the number on the firewall did not match the vin number in vicroads records.
That sounds like it was on a Mini.

The Mokes only ever had their VIN number on the radiator shroud or under the driver seat on the cross member until 1974. The code stamped in that area of the firewall on Mokes was usually something like
MB

Terry

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »
That sounds like it was on a Mini.

The Mokes only ever had their VIN number on the radiator shroud or under the driver seat on the cross member until 1974. The code stamped in that area of the firewall on Mokes was usually something like
MB

Terry

Yes it was a mini, perhaps I should have said that.
I did think mokes had the same thing, but I cannot say I actually ever looked, obviously a difference.
Thanks for clearing it up.
Cheers, Dave

manyhandedman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »
Appreciate all the responses. So if the radiator shroud is missing I should probably steer clear as it would suggest something is not right. May be legit but if there is no shroud (VIN) it may also mean the vehicle was stolen at some point. Thanks again.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »
Appreciate all the responses. So if the radiator shroud is missing I should probably steer clear as it would suggest something is not right. May be legit but if there is no shroud (VIN) it may also mean the vehicle was stolen at some point. Thanks again.

If you can supply photoss of the number on the shroud or the shroud itself then we might be able to help more. If there is no shroud then pictures of the rest of the Moke might help confirm if it is really an '81 or something else. If you don't want the pictures to be posted publicly then send them to contactus@mokeforum.com.au and we can have a look.

And reading your first post again you assume the 1977 front end is also 'galv' which I assumed you meant the front sub frame but now I am thinking you meant the front panels are from a 1977.

Terry