Author Topic: 3D Printing ‘78 Taillight Backing Plates  (Read 1542 times)

Pre10der

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Moke owner since 1998

• Personal Text
    Mokes look better in red.
Re: 3D Printing ‘78 Taillight Backing Plates
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »
OK, it's been some time whilst I waited for the bits to arrive, but here is the result. I am using LED globes with the approproate holders. I designed rails into the backing plate so that they clip in...and rather permanently it would seem.

Pretty happy with the result!

Ian
1978 Californian | 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes.
Full details on resto at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 05:56:22 PM »
Hi,

they look very good, are you taking orders?

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »
Great job Ian, that looks tops 😎
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »
Hi,

they look very good, are you taking orders?

Terry

Yes.  Are you taking orders?  I could definitely use a pair of those!

Tim.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    The truly galvanised Moke
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
+1. If you're making these available we'd also be interested. That's amazing ;D

OCK66K

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
Count me interested too - I'd much rather keep the original look than go to trailer LEDs

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »
Very Clever, looks awesome, when are you staring on the Lens?? LOL
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 02:32:58 AM »
Hi Ian,

That is absolutely brilliant - reproducing old parts with new tech, and making them better.

Well done!

MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

lindsay

• Registered Member

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
I am also interested in a set of taillight backing plates with led  fittings. please keep us posted.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 08:27:16 PM »
Inspired by Pre10der's initiative, I decided I'd try my hand at making up my own model.

I don't have direct access to a 3D printer, so I haven't yet got to see how close it matches to the original. Considering that an embarrassing amount of it was drawn by eye, I somehow doubt the first print will be perfect. Regardless, this is what I've managed to come up with, and I reckon it's not too shabby for a first try :D

Pre10der

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Moke owner since 1998

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »
Nice one Sharks. It took about 5 or six prints and adjustments To my model before I got something that I was happy with.

For those that have asked if I can print some, I apologise for the delayed response. My hesitation has been due to not being sure how to best go about it. I only have the ability to print in PLA+ at the moment as ABS plastic is tricky to work with...and emits fumes that is care not to breathe. My Moke stays indoors, so that is no issue for me, but if you wanted something that could take harsh UV from the sun year after year, then I’m not sure how long they would last. Perhaps a few years, maybe more. In my use case, PLA+ is more than adequate.

So, I think what I can do is print a pair for those that want them under the assumption that they are no British Leyland product. I can provide the printed backing plate, and you can source the globe holders (I’ll provide the details of what to get), bolts, screws and whatever globes tickle your fancy.

It won’t be a quick turnaround either As each plate is about a 9hr print, but I would love to help fellow mokers where I am able.
1978 Californian | 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 09:48:16 PM »
Thanks, Pre10der. Very nice of you to produce for those who'd like them, too.

We're toying with the idea of big 10W LEDs that are a significantly different form factor to what you're using. They'll probably need some sort of aluminium heat plate behind them to keep them cool, all of which I'll have to allow for in my model.

If I ever get ahold of enough printing time to work out the kinks, I'll finalise this and make the file available for those who would like to print it themselves.

As Pete said, next job is working out a way of reproducing the lens ;D
Might be a bit past my skill set.

Pre10der

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Moke owner since 1998

• Personal Text
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 10:21:16 PM »
Yes, the lens would be great as well. Interestingly enough, I have two sets of lenses. One set is the original Hella lenses. These aren’t in very good shape. The set i have fitted seem to be an aftermarket repro. as they are not stamped as Hella, but look identical.

The globes I have fitted may look small, but they are super bright and supposedly rated at 10W. Whether there is truth to that or not I’m not sure (got them on AliExpress), but they really are bright. I am however not too sure on the longevity I will get out of them. Time will tell.

What globe holders are you considering? The original ones in my lights were too corroded for my liking.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 07:23:06 AM »
We were considering the big, square, flat LEDs. They usually mount with a 3mm screw on each corner.

As they'll produce a lot of heat, we were going to mount them to some aluminium on the inside of the backing plate and add some trickery to draw the heat out. We'll also need to mount the LED drivers somewhere. Likely we'll just slap them in somewhere last thing.

We've got three lenses total. Two are original and in great nick, especially considering they sat outside for 25 years.
One is a bit of an oddball. It looks like it was entirely amber at one point and the top half was painted red from the inside. Unfortunately the red has begun to flake off. It might be salvageable, but we'll just use the good ones for now.

I was not aware aftermarket Moke lenses were ever produced. Were yours perhaps intended for the Holden Ute?

Pre10der

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Moke owner since 1998

• Personal Text
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »
I believe the HQ One Tonner lens and the Moke lens are the same. I just find it odd that one of the pairs I have is not stamped with any Hella branding. The slot that the metal shield slideS into is also not as clean as the original Hella lenses so that is what leads me to believe it’s a reproduction....