Author Topic: 3D Printing ‘78 Taillight Backing Plates  (Read 1536 times)

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

Re: 3D Printing ‘78 Taillight Backing Plates
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2020, 11:41:41 AM »
Very clever, are they just reversable for left or right side?
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Stephen

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2020, 02:19:31 PM »
They are symmetrical so work left or right!

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
I've printed one of Pre10der's light bases in PLA and it was a really good fit for the NOS Holden lenses I have. PLA is quite brittlle though and when you consider that the only thing holding the expensive lenses to the car is two small columns of PLA that could seperate through the layers...anyway I've ordered some ASA filament and I'll see how it prints. Its supposed to be a bit more difficult to print with but amongst the best for weather resistance.

I'm also well along in designing the circuit boards for my LED lights.

Thanks again for your work Ian.

I'll have to try a heater duct now.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Pre10der

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Moke owner since 1998

• Personal Text
    Mokes look better in red.
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2020, 09:15:21 PM »
No worries Tim. Good call on the ASA filament. I’ve also ordered myself some of that. Will be interested to see how it goes.

Keep us posted with your progress.
1978 Californian | 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes.
Full details on resto at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

Stephen

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »
PLA is vegetable based and biodegradable so is definitely not well suited to any automotive application inside or out. It will last a little longer primed and painted. I use an automotive high fill spray primer filler and a lot of sanding to achieve a smooth look to parts I print. PLA is the most common filament for low end consumer 3D printers, produces very few fumes and works well at lower extruder temperatures.

For this application I would try either PETG which still works well on lower end printers, is a little stronger and wont break down as readily. ABS would be the strongest material accessible to most 3D printers but can be challenging to print on low end printers, especially ones that are not enclosed as the temperature differential over the duration of the print can cause warping of the job. ASA is also proving a good choice for this type of application and supposed to be a little easier to manage in an open printer but I would still try to keep the room you are printing in at a sable temperature, ie avoid dramatic temperature drops overnight if possible.

With the printers I use at work ($20K plus) we are able to print carbon fibre reinforced nylon and a host of other exotic materials but they are very expensive and even at this price point the printers still require so much fondling and attention to get right. 3D printing is a great technology and I cant wait to see how far it will go but it is still very early days.
Cheers

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:33:04 PM by Stephen »

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2020, 05:06:24 PM »
I got a quote on printing some underwater housings using carbon fibre reinforced nylon. From memory the cost was going to be about 10 times the price of having them machined from polycarbonate. Needless to say the polycarbonate won.

I have sample of it on my desk printed on a Markforged printer. Its amazing stuff. Stiffer than aluminium and a fraction of the weight. They make brake levers for motorbikes out of it. Total overkill for this job though.

I'm hoping that I dont have too much trouble with the ASA, the overall height of the backing plates is quite low so hopefully it will stay nice and warm down near the bed. I may experiment with printing a draft shield around it.

Tim
1955 BSA C11G
1969 Triumph TR6R

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    The truly galvanised Moke
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2020, 04:36:03 PM »
Went for a visit to the Bendigo Tech school this afternoon to pick up my first attempt that they'd printed for me. Looks like the shape is just about right ;D
Some modifications to be made now to accomodate the LEDs, then we'll print some more.

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2020, 08:45:26 AM »
I received my ASA filament (Filaform Select ASA). It wasn't difficult to print at all. I used a profile designed for ABS, and it came out beautifully, I couldn't be happier with the results.  I'll sand and paint the outside before I fit them, but that will be very little work. It seems like a great choice of plastic for this job.

Next job is to finish designing the PCBs for the LED lights.

Tim
1955 BSA C11G
1969 Triumph TR6R

Pre10der

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Moke owner since 1998

• Personal Text
    Mokes look better in red.
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2020, 08:57:26 AM »
Nice work Tim. Really glad it worked out for you. I'm awaiting an all-metal hot end before I give the ASA a crack. From what I read, it will probably be my go-to filament for engineering parts.
1978 Californian | 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes.
Full details on resto at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

Stephen

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
Great feedback
I will grab a few rolls and start playing.
Cheers