austmoke

Author Topic: Different speedos  (Read 274 times)

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Different speedos
« on: May 19, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
Hi.

I was wondering what the story was behind the differences between the following two pictures. The left speedo has larger lights, and two more of them at that. The top light is also in a different position, and they are labelled differently. The ring around the outside on the left speedo is black as opposed to the chrome, pointy ring on the right one. Is one speedo for an earlier model, or for a Mini instead perhaps? The right hand speedo doesn't go as high either. Is it measured in MPH, or for a smaller block or something?

Thanks for your help.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Different speedos
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »
Hi,

the one on the right is the earlier MPH speedo. If you look closely on the face you will see either 800 or 1280 which is to do with the ratio also.

And you will notice the right hand one has no provision for indicators suggesting it is a much earlier set up where the indicator was a globe on the end of the stalk.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:49:59 PM by Terry »
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »
Hi Terry.

The left one has 800 written on it, and the right has 1280.

Thanks for clarifying that the right is a MPH speedo. Do you know what dates these speedos correspond to? Judging by the fact that it is MPH, the right one for early 70's and older models?

Thanks, Sharks

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 04:53:05 PM »
Hi,

in your example the right hand one would be in the mid '60s because the light on the stalk was around in 1966 but not much later. Australia swapped to KPH in 1974 so MPH speedos with indicator lights were fitted in the first part of the 70's at least.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 04:55:01 PM »
Brilliant! Thanks for the information. Always learning new things  ;D

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
Another point of interest - I was going through some old photos and came across some pictures of a little wheeler Moke I spotted at a show with my Grandfather a few years back. I don't know who it belongs to or where it's from, but it had a different speedo again:

Apologies for the poor photo, but you can just make out the letters 'MPH' down the bottom of the centre circle, which makes sense on a little wheeler. This speedo goes up to about 120MPH though, much higher the other one I pictured earlier. I can't make out if it's got blinker lights or not, however the headlights indicator light is in the middle like it is on the later KMH gauge, not slightly off to the right.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 10:25:08 PM »
I think Cooper S speedos went to 120mph so probably used one of those.

in your earlier photo I think the black rimmed speedo was from a mid 70's moke, for some reason they
weren't chrome rimmed but painted black.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 07:14:28 PM »
Hi,

this is the speedo from an April 1966 Moke, a very early one, and although it looks very similar to the original posts image on the right it has two differences, besides being dirtier.

There is no little indication of the rpm(800 or 1280) on the face and if you look closely around the 40mph mark you will notice an extra little for the Filter needs changing warning light.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »
Hi,

this post links to the dash in Pavels Export Moke which has possibly has a special speedo or just one with an extra sticker, https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=13999.msg166675#msg166675

I checked my two original condition Exports and both have the same 90mph speedo in my previous post for mid '72 Mokes, however Pavel's is a 1973 Moke and it is a Factory export, not private, and has the 140 kph speedo but with the mph graduation around the inside. I have seen the kph graduation on a sticker for the MPH speedos but not the other way around.

It would be interesting to see his speedo up close. :)

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 08:09:29 PM »
Hi Terry.
That is interesting!

Prowling the internet I've come across another variation myself. I believe it was fitted to some variant of the Cooper S mini - the white speedo:

As you can see it is also an example of the kph graduation sticker. The layout of the lights leads me to believe it fits a similar time period to the mid-to-late 70s and 80s mokes. And is it just me or is it odd that it reads 10mph at rest?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »
Hi,

starting at 10km/h is the same as the one on the left in your original photo so it seems to be something that came in with the later speedos.

And the extra km/h on the what dash isn't a sticker either, it looks like it is part of the face like in Pav's speedo. 

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 11:34:25 PM »
Our speedos in Canada were standard with both KPH and MPH.  Most of the ones I’ve had from Mini’s were done like that.

Canadian Moke

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 04:36:48 PM »
In the picture at the top the one on the left has a flat centre disk (so does the 'magnolia' coloured one). The one on the right has a deep groove in it and the centre of the disk is not a seperate piece. They will also have very different shaped backs. The  two piece flat face ones were made by Smiths in the UK and are usually black or silver faced. I think the white 'magnolia' ones were only available aftermarket.

The ones with the single piece faces with the deep groove in them were made by Smiths in Australia. They were used across the whole Mini and Moke range. They came with different numbers painted on the face and with different gearing depending on the gear ratio, performance of the vehicles they were fitted to and whether they were in km or miles. They all had dark grey faces.

Around 1971 the Minis started going over to a different style with two or three smaller gauges in front of the driver. The high end models went first with the poverty packs and vans following later. Once they were no longer needed for Minis there became less need for Smiths Australia to manufacturer a unique  speedo for a few Mokes. The Aussie ones staggered on for a couple of years, but eventually they switched over to importing them from the UK. I suspect Smiths faded away in Australia about the same time.

There's also a change in the outer dress rim and the glass. The early ones used a shiny chrome rim, with a sharp v shaped edge. This was changed over to the later rounded style for safety. Around the same time they opted for a black painted version rather than chromed, and the glass went from curved to flat. It probably saved a few cents.

Tim

1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 04:25:44 PM »
Terry, here is mine in detail: