Author Topic: Distributor related woes  (Read 694 times)

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Distributor related woes
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 03:00:28 PM »
Thanks for confirming Terry.

Being such a newbie I figured best to double check.

Yes A is the orientation of the driveshaft before it starts to engage and the arrow depicts how the slot will rotate anti clockwise as the gears mesh. B shows the orientation of the slot once the driveshaft is locked in final position.

My Haynes Repair Manual is a left over from my Mini ownership days, so not specifically for a Moke. Its titled "Mini 1969 to 2001".

I figured the mechanical sections would be close enough, but would you recommend that I buy a Moke specific manual for the future ?

Thanks again Terry. I've packed up for the day, so will crack back into it in the morning.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 05:34:08 PM »
Hi,

there is no Moke specific workshop manual so what you have got is fine for the mechanical work.

Terry

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »
Thanks for confirming Terry.

I really appreciate your guidance.

Have a great evening.

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
First thing this morning I re-assembled everything. Installed the new plug leads and vacuum advance pipework as the old units were looking a bit crusty. Put in one of those new silicone tappet cover gaskets so I've now solved the slow oil weep I had running down the block near the thermostat housing. The old cork gasket had pulled inwards so I suspect the previous owner tightened down the tappet cover a bit too much.

Setup the new 45D with cylinder 1 plug lead pointing to the 1 o'clock position, squirted a bit of "start ya bastard" into the SU and she fired up on the first turn of the key. Chucked my timing light on and the new dizzy needed a very slight tweak to get it perfect.

I let the engine warm up to operating temperature and then popped my Gunson colour tuner on and tweaked the mixture a bit.

Took the Moke for a quick run and its like driving a totally different car. No engine stumble and its pulling like a freight train. It's never run this good. Checked the plugs when we got back and it was running a bit lean, so I've tweaked the mixture a bit more and I'll keep an eye on the colour of the plugs after the next few drives.

An interesting aside is that the exhaust note seems a bit more throaty.  I thought that maybe my ears were playing tricks on me, but I had the Mrs with me and she was the first to comment on the change, so it's not just my imagination.

Anyway, needless to say we are both very happy with the results of fitting the new electronic dizzy.

My sincere thanks to Terry for being so generous with his time and knowledge and to Steam for his advice too.

Happy Moke'ing All.

FNQ

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »
Great result , and thanks for reporting back

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 08:37:21 AM »
Excellent result, now time to enjoy driving it. 8)
Cheers, Dave

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »
Happy days, well done.

Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 11:22:45 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. We have been driving the Moke around our little village every day since getting it sorted.

I've kept an eye on the condition of the plugs as it was running a bit lean at first but I've now got them burning a lovely roast chicken colour so very happy with the result.