Author Topic: Getting static timing for a new dizzy  (Read 391 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Getting static timing for a new dizzy
« on: July 08, 2020, 09:05:47 PM »
Hi guys....me again. 

Okay I had this engine of mine sounding great at idle after fitting a new head and electronic distributor. 

I took her for a drive and she had no top end power like I use to have.    Iv'e got a pretty big cam Kent 276/286. 

Because of the big cam I read I should probably have around 12 degrees BTDC.  So I turned the dizzy anticlockwise trying to get 12 BTDC.  I now realise I should have turned the dizzy clockwise to advance the timing, is this correct?

MY other problem is trying to do the timing with a strobe.  I have the notch on the bottom pulley but no markings on the timing cover. 
I read you can open some plate on the bellhousiung and do the timing from there?   

Anyway I'm just looking forward to advancing my timing tomorrow not retarding it.  Am I corect?

Thanks Brad

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Getting static timing for a new dizzy
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 05:45:11 AM »
Hi  Maystro,

Yes turn distributor clockwise to advance.  I always think turn it in the direction the Vacuum advance is pointing, helps me remember.

You can "hand time" the engine and get it pretty close, loosen the distributor so you can move it back and forward then advance and retard it until the engine is running it's fastest and smoothest.  Then drive it  and listen for any pinging, if it pings retard it until the pinging stops.  To check pinging drive in 3rd gear under load.    BTW I run a Kent 276 cam and i really like the way it performs in my Moke.

I have not timed mine with the flywheel markings with a strobe so someone with more experience can tell you how that is done.  I only use the flywheel markings to check TDC.

Cheers

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:37:32 AM »
Unfortunately Drakmans method is not real easy to do and if you get it wrong may cause blown head gasket etc.
The flywheel housing has a small cover held with 2 bolts. Once off you should see a pointer and if you rotate the engine by hand there wiil appear in the 'window' timing marks below gives a good idea

be aware that the 1/4 appears twice during 1 engine revolution. it is essential to ensyre you are on No1 cyl compression stroke
A mirror will make thing much easier and I use white paint pen to highlight the marks I want to use.

I do Max advance abd decel for my timing but an adjustable timing light is required
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 08:39:23 AM by Steam »
Cheers, Dave

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:58:15 AM »
On a side note you have changed the running reqs of the engine quite a bit and may find that the mixture and needle are now not correct. Even after getting the timing sorted the needle / mixture will make tuning nigh on impossible.
Needle selection is an art and not for the faint of heart. :o
Cheers, Dave

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 08:43:03 PM »
Drakman thanks, that is exactly what I did today and what a whole new engine.  Quieter, smoother and I've got that kick in pants again when the Kent cam kicks in at higher revs. 

I think their is still more to get out of it and will put the strobe on it this weekend like Steam recommends. 
So I will need to make sure when I see the 1/4 mark I should mark the one when the rotor is near the dizzy contact for #1 cylinder?  Is this right?

In the post today I just got this thing of beauty straight from the Burlen fuel company with a couple of different needles.  AAU and ABP. Trial and error I guess.

There are worse jobs trialing a Moke along the Strand in sunny North QLD. 

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »
If strobe timing then with the light pickup on lead no1 it should light up something around the 5 to 10 marks at idle.
You need to know what your engine needs and at what rpm.
If the 12 deg you mentioned is static then it will be higher on the strobe.
Also disconnect the vac line and block it while timing. reconnect after.
Cheers, Dave

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 08:44:04 AM »
There is only one 1/4 mark, it appears twice because the flywheel does 2 revolutions per engine cycle.
You only have to be certain while static timing.
No need to worry about it when strobe timing as per my last post. with strobe pickup on 1 it is all correct.
Cheers, Dave

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 07:28:50 PM »
Ok  thanks Dave. 

It looks like I should borrow a mates strobe and do a dynamic test since the engine is running pretty good now.   I just need to get some info of what my cam requires although I think trial by driving would probably be better because I'm going by the ideology that every engine is different, especially mine. 

Brad

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 08:54:57 PM »
Hi  Maystro,

BTW I run a Kent 276 cam and i really like the way it performs in my Moke.

Cheers

Hey Drakman,  since we have the same cam, did you ever get a number on your strobe for the best BTDC?

Thanks Brad.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:09:37 PM by Maystro »

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 11:34:49 PM »
Hi Maystro,

I cheated, I bought a 123 distributor and the instructions were to set the engine at TDC then turn the distributor until a little green light came on then lock it up.  The 123 distributor has 16 advance curves, after working through then all i settled on the "c" curve with 34 degrees advance.  I did check it with my strobe light and it was, at idle, 10 BTDC.

I should say that i love the 123 dissy, that old saying "a poor man pays twice" was spot on this time.  IF i ever build another engine it will include a 123 dissy and a viscus harmonic pulley, bugger the cost!

Cheers
Dave