Author Topic: Heater Tap  (Read 91 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Heater Tap
« on: July 11, 2020, 04:34:30 PM »
Hi guy's,

I noticed my heater tap on the cylinder head is leaking.  I'm guessing this is not a serviceable unit. 

I was thinking it would be easier and more durable to just plumb this into a direct pipe of some kind that will go into the head.  Would this cause any other problems and where can I get a such a pipe? 

Thanks Brad

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Heater Tap
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 05:16:49 PM »
I believe if you have the right stuff on the other end of the hose, you can use a direct pipe like this one (please ignore brilliant image quality):

Alternatively, new heater taps are readily available: https://minisport.com.au/heater-tap-on-head-type-angled-original-shape

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »
HI,

if your heater core is good, ie. not leaking, then removing the tap is fine. Given your location is Townsville you probably don't have a heater so it would be even less of an issue.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 06:30:14 PM »
Sharks that is exactly the pipe I need, even with the right curve.  Any ideas where I might be able to hunt down one of these rare species?

Terry,  my Moke is a 1981 one owner so I have kept the heater in tact and it works very well.  Believe it or not there is about 2 weeks of the year where I use it in Townsville.  I learnt how useful they can be when I did a Moke trip from Cairns to Sheparton for the 40th going over the Alpine way in mid winter. 

Someone also told me having the extra heater radiator matrix could be good in a hot climate so I was thinking it wouldn't be a problem if it was always in the on position to keep the coolant flowing. 

Thanks

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 06:37:21 PM »
Hi,

if it always running water through the core of the heater then it tends to make the heater core last longer as it circulates the corrosion inhibitor that you should have in your cooling system. The larger volume of water moving around tends to take longer to warm up.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »
Thanks Terry,  I use to always have the heater in the on position to stop corrosion so it should be in pretty good nick.  I think I will do away with the tap and just plumb it in direct and have one less thing to go wrong. 

If I have problems with cold starting which I shouldn't I can always plumb "those pretty blue" heater pipes through the intake manifold ;-)

Thanks Brad

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 07:59:42 PM »
Hey Maystro,

Glad the picture helped, but unfortunately I don't know where you'd find that particular part. That one was attached to an 1100 that I believe belonged to a early 70's mini, but that's all I know.

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 08:13:32 PM »
Geez Sharks looks like youv'e got a job and and half trying to resurrect that engine? 

I found this part which looks like it might be the business.   
https://minisport.com.au/mini-moke-heater-take-off-pipe-1a2-hose-right-angle

Terry does this look like it would work? 

Thanks Brad

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 08:39:30 PM »
Hi,

except for the price, yes that would work.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 08:51:40 PM »
I hear you Terry. 
$50 bucks seems pretty steep for some rusty pitted unit they are selling second hand. 
I'm thinking a new replacement heater pipe/tap for $10 bucks extra might be the way to go and keep it more original since I have the cabling installed which works.
https://minisport.com.au/heater-tap-on-head-type-angled-original-shape

Thanks  Brad

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 09:02:10 PM »
Hi,

you could drill three appropriately sized holes in a piece of plate and ask any plumber in town to braze a bit of flared 1/2" pipe to it for $10.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

kell

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 09:33:28 PM »
Hi Maystro
that heater tap is only $44.00 plus freight from Mini Kingdom Online
maybe its worth a look
Kell

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 09:34:15 PM »
Thanks Terry,

You appealed to my cheap wad sensibility side and I agree.   I have a welder on tap that will do anything for me for a macca's meal ;-)

Thanks Brad