Author Topic: Head Gaskets again  (Read 462 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Head Gaskets again
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 08:45:10 PM »
Hi Terry,

I have been reading through heaps of old posts trying to gain a little bit of knowledge and see you have had a lot of experience with the the same 12G202 had I have. 

The head I have has been ported pretty extensively and as you can see from the pic fitted with big valves in a previous recond I did.

I then just sent it to a  machine for a full recond using my same valves and double valve springs.  This is when I only got got 1 day out of a head gasket.   

I'm thinking they would of skimmed it again so the compression ratio might be getting on the high side and I only used some generic gasket. 

Grasping at straws.  Anyway so I ordered the best gasket I could for a small block which are hard to get.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Brad

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 09:29:57 PM »
Hi,

when the head comes off then you can inspect the crime scene and that will probably tell you the cause.

Terry
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 09:55:14 PM »
when the head comes off then you can inspect the crime scene and that will probably tell you the cause.
I also think this is a good place to start.
A few years ago( Quite a few come to think of it), I had a really bad run with some BK450 head gaskets. As a result, I wont use them anymore. I hear they are ok now though.
When I was in Melbourne at the Mini Show last year, Mini Sport SA had a stand there. So as I had also just picked up 2 heads from Martini Heads that same weekend, was asking about head gaskets.
They recommended the Victor Reinz Gasket for my 1275 build. Their is a small bore option as well.
https://minisport.com.au/850-1100-head-gasket-victor-reinz-german-made

I havnt fitted the Head and Gasket to PRU yet, so I cant comment on the gasket, but they were very adamant it was a very good head gasket.

Dont the heads look awsome when they come back
The head I have has been ported pretty extensively and as you can see from the pic fitted with big valves in a previous recond I did.

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

FNQ

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 10:22:36 AM »

Hi Maystro - these are the thoughts that occurred to me when hearing of your woes. You probably already had them covered with the good advice from above as well as your own experience , but i thought i would share just in case.

When the head comes off, have a close inspection of the studs for looseness and importantly pulled thread ( where the edge of the stud hole gets pulled above the height of the block. Also manually fit the gasket over the head with the head facing up- and then similarly with the block in the correct orientation. visually inspect that the fire rings DON"T overlap with some holes/spaces and the water passages are okay as well. once you are satisfied all is as should be note its spacing as best you can, and then dummy fit the gasket over the studs---- see if the studs are pulling the gasket away from its ideal position - sometimes you may have to remove a stud, fit gasket and then return the gasket. Mini mania say if using original nuts 50 ft lbs unless you oil under them , if so only use 45 ft lbs.--- i don't think overtorquing by 5 ft lbs is the problem - but given your scenario - i would be taking 3 goes to get up to tension - example first pull all to 28 ft/lb then 38 then 45. Best of luck for your next effort. DARRYL

Here is a link to mini mania website article by Keith Calver i think [size=78%]https://www.minimania.com/CYLINDER_HEAD___Torque_down_and_head_gasket_problems_1227[/size]

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »

They recommended the Victor Reinz Gasket for my 1275 build. Their is a small bore option as well.
https://minisport.com.au/850-1100-head-gasket-victor-reinz-german-made

I looked at that gasket but bought hopefully the same copper gasket I had last time when I had similar problems.

Dont the heads look awsome when they come back
HP

Your right their HP, I had this thing of beauty on my dining room table for a week before I fitted it.  The wifey just didn't appreciate fine art?

Brad

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »
Hi FNQ,

I'll do your upside down test of the gasket fit on the head. 

Originally a few years ago I had a problem when it kept blowing out in between the chambers until I got the head resurfaced. 

This head has been on and off this block probably five times now since the block was recond.  Maybe the studs are showing some fatigue? 

Thanks

Brad.

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »
Hi, well I finally got a replacement head gasket so took the head off and I can't really see any problems.

Can someone with a more experienced eye see anything amiss.

Thanks Brad

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 04:25:10 PM »
Oh yeah here is a pic of my new Victor reinz head gasket.   Can anyone tell me which way is up. 

On one side you see between 1,2 and 3,4 it is solid metal so I was thinking that might face up into the cylinder head combustion chamber??

Thanks Brad

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
Hi Maystro,

The block face looks a bit dark between 3 and 4 cylinders.  I would run the edge of a steel rule over the area and see if you can get a feeler gauge under it to check for clearance.  Has the block been decked at any stage?

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 09:15:51 AM »
Hi Moe

I have oil seeping out between the head and block and air bubbles in the radiator.  It is also breaking down when I rev it.

Thanks Brad

Where specifically was the oil seeping out?
It also may have been a help to have done a compression test before removing.
Cheers, Dave

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »
Hi Steam

Oil was pooling on the front of the engine where the engine number is stamped.  Also I noticed some green fluid in the same area earlier and I could see small air bubbles.

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
Hi Steam, 

I think the problem was definitely the block surface.  I removed all the studs  and ran a stone over it and found some high points near the long studs and also near 1 and 4 cylinder bores which have liners. 

After 40 mins of sanding/polishing with the stone the block looks better. 

Anyway the new gasket is on after cleaning with aero start and torqued down to 45pounds. 

Ill do the tappets and fit all the ancillary gear tomorrow . 

Fingers crossed

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 08:16:01 AM »
There may be a bit more 'give' in the new gasket as well which may help.
Let us know.
Cheers, Dave