Author Topic: Demister Vents  (Read 312 times)

moke123

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• miMoxXD

Demister Vents
« on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »
I am considering putting a 1380 engine in Kudu in WA.  To do this legally would require engineering and a vehicle inspection.  One of the requirements is to have a working windscreen demister, but Kudu does not currently have a heater or demister vents.  I have read that some people use 12 volt electric hairdryers piped to the demister vents.  My question is, do the demister vents used on Minis bolt up to the moke dash rail (i.e. are screw holes the same distance apart)?

Cheers, Graham

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Demister Vents
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »
Hi,

Why do you think it would require an engineering inspection?

If the 1380 is just a bored out 1275 then there is nothing required to be engineered, they were fitted to the car from the factory. If you only have drum brakes again they were fitted to 1275's from the factory in period. You are not modifying the available components nor doing something that wasn't available from the factory.

Unless WA has some weird rule.

Terry

moke123

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• miMoxXD

Re: Demister Vents
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »
Hi Terry,

You are correct.  However, if performance parts are added such as camshaft to the engine then it technically requires engineering, inspection, and emissions testing in WA.  Also, I would be fitting adjustable suspension parts at the same time, which also require engineering.  In addition, I have a supercharger kit that will be fitted in the future either to my 1275 or 1380.  This would definitely require engineering.    If it was just the 1380 with a performance camshaft then I probably wouldn't worry about engineering.  But I do want to get the adjustable suspension engineered so that in the event of an accident my insurance company doesn't try to leave me high and dry.

Any idea what demister vents I can adapt to the moke dash rail, preferably ones that are shaped in a way that allows me to use the existing duct holes through the parcel shelves?

Graham