Author Topic: Temperature gauge not working  (Read 97 times)

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Temperature gauge not working
« on: July 14, 2020, 10:37:22 AM »
Just checking over the moke before a rego inspection today, and found the temperature gauge not working. Can't see any loose wires. Wondering how I check the engine end?
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Temperature gauge not working
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
Hi,

The temperature sender is located to the right of the #1 spark plug below the bolt/stud that that holds the thermostat housing on to the head. There should be a single wire connected to the sensor. You can see it near the bottom of this picture.

If the wire is connected then just give it a wiggle or remove it and put it back on. If that doesn't fix it you need a multi-meter or a test light to see if there is a problem with the sender unit.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 12:07:39 PM »
Hi,
This is one of my Multimeters that has a temperature function. I've used it a few times to see how close my gauges are. Very handy tool, not just for temperature.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »
Find the wire Terry is indicating and ground it out to the block which should send the gauge to fully hot. If it does then the sender is probably shot, if not then other faults are present.
If the fuel gauge works then the voltage stabilzer is fine but the wiring to the gauge may be faulty.
Cheers, Dave

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 12:55:11 AM »
Sorry Mellow, In my rush I forgot to add the link  ::)

https://www.jaycar.com.au/cat-iii-multimeter-with-temperature/p/QM1323

But like the others have said, ground the wire from the sender, will take a few seconds, the gauge moves slowly.
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.