Author Topic: 1980 Cali rebuild.... Let the games begin  (Read 6502 times)

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: 1980 Cali rebuild.... Let the games begin
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2020, 05:43:34 PM »
Firstly happy New Years to everyone, hope it was a good one for all.

So following my last issue of lock nuts on tie rod ends not playing nicely, thanks to your advice I found putting a jack underneath it with a small piece of timber and putting some pressure on them has done the trick! (I’ll post some photos of progress soon).

Now for the next hiccup. My older fuel filler elbow has seen better days and from what I can tell the inside diameter is 54mm. However, finding a replacement one has been very difficult and the closest i can find is about 57mm.

My question is, will this plus larger size some hose clamps be sufficient or is there a specific reason this thing has to be 54mm and super tight?

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »
Hi all, can anyone tell me what welch plugs do and when/how are they fitted?

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:04 PM »
  Hi Beno.   Welsh plugs are used to keep water in your engine and are either steel or brass depending on choice. Some engine builders still use the steel ones from long ago. Younger engine builders like the brass copper ones as many engines now run radiator additives which they feel are less corrosive on then then on the steel ones. Personal choice really, anyhow, you need to use one or the other to fill the holes in your block created from when the molten metal was poured into moulds to make the engine. Fitting them requires some wet sandpaper to clean the hole, a steel or brass welsh plug that tightly fits the hole a socket of about two thirds of the size, some lock tight to seal the water jacket and a hard engineering hammer. Coat the welsh plug with the sealer, place in hole opening and using the socket gently tap the plug about half way into hole check it’s going in ok then a few more taps with socket finish fitting by gently tapping around the outside of the welsh plug until it sits flush with the block. Repeat method until all holes are filled to keep the coolant in your engine and on some engines a similar plug is used in the rear to keep oil in the engine.

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2020, 09:07:07 PM »
Yellaterra you’re awesome, thanks heaps!
Took some effort and fiddling about but got all five of them in  ;D

Now onto the next bit and my next question. Do all Mokes have a packing washer in between the engine steady bar bracket on clutch side?

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:20 AM »
Here’s  some progress photos....

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2020, 01:53:34 AM »
Hi Beno,

Wow! :o That looks fantastic! Great job! ;D

Do all Mokes have a packing washer in between the engine steady bar bracket on clutch side?

If you mean on the engine, some did and some didn't. Here's a scan from the parts book that might help...

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

moke123

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• miMoxXD

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »
Hi Beno,

As others have said, it's looking fantastic! I am gearing up to rebuild my 1980 soon, so yours is a source of inspiration.

I'm also in Perth and if you don't mind my asking:
1) How much was the soda blasting?
2) Who was your panel beater and how much did it cost?
3) Who was your painter and how much did it cost?

I am on a budget and considering using paint stripper and/or heat gun.  I'll probably do the body work myself other than getting a mobile welder to come fix some extra holes and repair some fatigue cracks. Still deciding what to do about painting.

Graham

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
Hey there Graham (moke123), I’m really sorry for not seeing your message sooner but I have been away so I missed it.
The soda blasting cost me about $450, I will PM you the details in case you wanted to get in touch with him. My panel beater and painter were the same guy but he has since retired but from memory it was about 3.5k for both. The paint was a 2-pac, 2 coat job.
I considered using paint stripper etc myself to save cash with the initial strip down but to be honest for me it was a whole lot less hassle and easier to get in those hard to reach spots so spending the money to get it soda blasted was well worth it.
I just got the engine back in this week so will put some more photos up soon with the updates. 

moke123

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• miMoxXD

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2020, 11:13:02 AM »
Thanks Beno.  $450 to soda blast the whole car is much cheaper than I had imagined.  Going to seriously consider this.
Cheers, Graham

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2020, 10:05:33 PM »
So to distract me a little bit from the steering column thread I thought i should upload a few more recent photos.

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2020, 10:07:27 PM »
The guards would have been much easier to fit.... if the holes matched!!
But they are finally in and a big thanks to Terry for the awesome centre cap stickers ;D

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2020, 10:09:51 PM »
Rear guards and muddies on.... As well as a new Light Force LED reverse light I found at a 4WD shop

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2020, 10:13:38 PM »
The engine bay thus far....

And also the nearly completed dash and speedo housing. A big shout out to Maddog and his Dash kit to help hold it all in place  ;D

Apologies for not being able to post it all in one however I had a few technical issues. Nearly there, just some finishing touches to go and then off to the licensing centre :o

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »
Hi,

that looks....yellow. :)

Terry

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member