Author Topic: Fuel lines  (Read 813 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Fuel lines
« on: July 24, 2020, 07:59:02 PM »
Hi guy's

What is that hard plastic 1/4" fuel line that runs all over the tank as breathers and runs through the firewall to the carby?  I can't seem to find it.  I probably only need about 300mm to redirect the bottom tank feed to the top of the tank for a electric pump.  That seems like the most durable product since it is 40 years old and looks like brand new and it has to fit between the tank and the inner bulk head.

Thanks  Brad

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 08:43:10 PM »
Hi guys,

Well this looks like the goods thanks to Moke Spider.  Cheap as and free freight. 

https://www.valvesonline.com.au/metric-black-nylon-tubing

Apparently only Australian Mokes used this nylon fuel pipe.

Brad

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 09:54:48 PM »
He's a good man. How he knows where to find so many things is a great thing. Well done Spider  :)

I had no idea where to even start looking, that tube is so indestructable, i reakon its going to be still usable for 100 years, unlike the rubber fuel hose.

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 09:59:07 PM »

...i reakon its going to be still usable for 100 years, unlike the rubber fuel hose.

HP

But very difficult to join without that rubber house. :)

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
But very difficult to join without that rubber house. :)

Terry
So true. But how good is that plastic fuel line.
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 09:01:13 PM »
Hi HP, 

Like you I am dissing the Facet for the SU, not because of noise but I think it pumps too much volume and starts to push out fuel through the over flow if left on without the engine running. 

Miniport have the SU pump for $189 but it doesn't look like it comes with a clamp.  I just need a clamp which will attach to a flat bottom kind of like the coil clamp does.  Would a coil clamp work, if not where can I get the needed clamp or do I have to fabricate something again?

Thanks Brad

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 09:24:20 PM »
The facet pumps are available in various pressure outputs.
The original mechanical pump is rated at 2 to 3 psi. The facet I have is a 4 to 6 psi, I do not have any problems with it overcoming the float valve.
There are also pressure reducers for fuel systems.
The su is also a great pump.
Cheers, Dave

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 09:30:47 PM »
Hi,
They do sell the bracket for the SU, about $30.

This is the one I fitted. Ben recommended them, and I can say they are very quite.
https://www.minisplus.com.au/classic-mini/product/electric-fuel-pump-su-style-german-made

HP

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 09:33:44 PM »
Hi,

the facet pumps do come in the 1-3 psi range, you just have to look closely at the box when you order it as the majority you will get through the big auto shops will be the 5psi+ item simply because they are more commonly used.

Terry

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
I have a standard Facet type pump and use a pressure regulator, reason been if away on a trip and I need a new pump I can use the standard one with the regulator, otherwise I'd have to order a low pressure one and wait for it to arrive.
I'm not sure on the SU pump but the Facet pump can only suck about 300 height max so they last longer if mounted in side box, my last one didn't last very long mounted on the firewall.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:35 PM »
I just bit the bullet and bought a SU fuel pump.  You cant go wrong with genuine SU quality and a good old made in England build...that is except if it's near knock off time and the lads are heading to the local for a pint  ;)

Some wise man on this forum once said about the poor man paying twice and that is so true @Drakman.  Thinking I will diss my cheap ebay electronic dizzy for a 123 Dizzy.

HP that bracket Minisport sell is designed only for one connection point which goes onto some other bracket adapter which is designed for mini's and not Mokes.  Burlen fuel company has what I need but the freight will be as much as the part.  Someone is Australia has it but for $50 bucks plus freight.  I don't think it would take to much to adapt a coil bracket to fit? 

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 07:17:06 PM »
Hi guy's

Well I thought I was doing the right thing this time by buying a genuine SU fuel pump to go on a brand new HS4 Su carby going on a 1 owner Moke where I know the fuel pipes haven't been changed from stock 1/4". 

It seems that would be too simple and SU has decided to change the inlet/outlet pipes on the SU fuel pump to 5/16".  Why would they do this?

I just bought brand new nylon 1/4" fuel pipe which goes from the tank to the firewall and used as all the breather pipes and new 1/4" rubber fuel line. 

So what do I need now to connect this new pump to the tank which is going to be located in the passenger side bulkhead above the tank.   

The pump fits in the space great with a standard coil bracket and the extra rubber surround.

Sheessh $#@%ing Poms.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 07:26:23 PM »
Hi,

you could change the lid on the float bowl and use your old one with the 1/4" inlet.

But I would wait until your pump arrives so you can see what size fittings it has.

Terry
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:10:02 PM by Terry »

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 07:47:22 PM »
Are they not a screwd in ferrule for the pipe fitti gs?
Cheers, Dave

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 08:59:15 PM »
Hi Terry,

I got the pump today and that is what the problem is.  It has 5/16" inlet and outlets.  Everything else including my brand new SU carby is 1/4"? 

I would understand if I bought something from ebay and having miss match pipe sizes, but everything is genuine SU. 

Brad