Author Topic: Fueling issue  (Read 1143 times)

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Fueling issue
« on: July 29, 2020, 02:44:12 PM »
G'day Fellow Mokers,

I'm again in need of some guidance and advice. The past few weeks the Moke has run faultlessly.

Then earlier today I needed to drop my Holden ute in for repairs (a faulty engine control module meaning vast amounts of money, but that's another story). Anyway the missus followed me through to town with the Moke and we then drove back together. On the way back both of us were commenting on how well the Moke was running and then about 6 km from home the Moke just suddenly died. I tried re-starting it and could get it to fire up but it would run for a few seconds and then just die. With no tools on me we managed to coast downhill until we reached a farm stall at the side of the road. Asked the stall owner to keep an eye on it whilst we walked home. Only took and hour and the day was not too hot, so we made the most of the walk. Grabbed my tow rope and got my neighbor to tow us back home. I suspected a fueling issue so started off by checking that the fuel pump was pumping. All good. Popped the top of the fuel bowl off and the fuel bowl was almost bone dry. Pulled the float off its spindle, blew out the seat and gave the needle a glance over. Looked okay to the naked eye. Filled up the bowl with fuel and assembled everything and she fired straight up and is running perfectly again.

When I blew everything out there were no signs of blockage and the inside of the fuel bowl was perfectly clean. The tank is half full and the fuel filter that sits before the pump is clean as a whistle. So I'm thinking that for some reason the needle jammed up and failed to drop when the float dropped thus starving the carby of fuel. Is this possible ?

Should I be looking at replacing my needle and seat as a precaution ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers, Gordon

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Fueling issue
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
Hi,

carry a screw driver on your dash or in one of the holes on the column mount and then if it stops again you can use the screw driver like a hammer and knock the top of the  float bowl inlet with the handle to see if you can knock it clear.

Terry

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »
Great advice, thanks Terry !

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Gordon

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 04:01:11 PM »
Not sure how long ago  (if ever) your float needle has been changed but there was a faulty batch about 10 or so years ago.
I spent countless hours chasing intermittent fuel faults, under the impression that it could not be the float needle as it was brand new.
Big mistake, another new float needle and seat fixed it.
I think the faulty types were of a new style or design at the time.
Cheers, Dave

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »
Thanks for that Dave.

Right before I replaced the distributor the Moke did a similar dying act one day, with exactly the same symptoms, so I suspect that this is the second time that the needle has stuck.

I'm thinking that for the small cost of a new needle and seat, it's worth replacing them just for extra peace of mind.

Cheers, Gordon

FNQ

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 05:05:46 PM »
If your needle and float fix  doesn't remedy the situation, try undoing your fuel tank cap -  blocked breathers work against your fuel pump giving fuel starvation

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 05:20:15 PM »
If your needle and float fix  doesn't remedy the situation, try undoing your fuel tank cap -  blocked breathers work against your fuel pump giving fuel starvation
We have had others in the past where the line for the breather had been either kinked or crushed and will cause a very similar symptom.
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »
Thanks for that fellas. More good advice. I'll take a peek at the breather tomorrow, just to rule that out.

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 06:12:06 PM »
I was just looking at fuel bowl needle and seats and noticed that my usual parts supplier offers an alternative option which is called a Superflow needle valve.

Anyone had any experience with these?

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 06:22:21 PM »
I think that was the type that gve me so much grief.
Cheers, Dave

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 06:33:27 PM »
That doesn't sound good Dave. Glad I asked. Thanks for sharing.

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »
Actually now I have thought about it, that may not be the same.
I seem to remember mine was a silver colour and it had a spring loaded part that was operated by the float  but I think it was a 2 piece thing, as in valve and seat rather than a one piece that you showed.
I don,t want to put down a product, working on a 10 year ago poor memory.
Cheers, Dave

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »
Thanks for clarifying Dave. The original looks like a two piece setup that works purely on gravity with no spring return mechanism. Sounds like the unit you had experience with was possibly another alternative to the original design.

I might give this new one a try. It's a bit more expensive than the original, but fuel flow is supposed to be better.

Just need to get over the expense of my Holden repair so probably will be next month. In the mean time I'll try Terry's trick if it happens again.

Cheers, Gordon

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 08:05:34 AM »
The type that gave me grief was a Grose jet, and I replaced with a Viton tip which solved the problem.
have a look at the breathers as others say, also check the pick up filter in the tank isn't clogged or sitting in debris, and use Terry's trick for piece of mind.

You can be our trial guinea pig for the new superflow jet. ;) 8)
Cheers, Dave

Flash

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 08:30:54 AM »
Thanks Dave, I've just had a quick poke around the net and it looks like there are a few reports of bad experiences with the Grose jets. It looks like my carb is currently running the Viton tip option.

I'll keep you posted on how I go with the Superflow.

Cheers, Gordon