Author Topic: Engine cuts out during drive  (Read 519 times)

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Engine cuts out during drive
« on: August 01, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
Ive finally got the Moke up and running and back on the road after full rebuild, however, being able to drive it has revealed a small issue in that I will be driving along and all of a sudden there’s a bit of a surge and the engine cuts out. If I leave it sit for a few minutes she will start up again and go but only for a very short distance before doing the same (usually only enough go to get into second gear).
When it happened yesterday I removed fuel line and blew some air back in towards the tank which allowed me to start her up again and get home.

The following has been done to the engine/car;

- All new full engine rebuild including a brand new original style fuel pump attached to engine.
- Fuel tank originally had a lot of flaked rust and crap in it so I had it professionally cleaned, flushed and re-sealed as part of the rebuild.
- All new fuel lines
- New fuel filter which shows a very small amount of the original crappy rust flakes in it but not enough to even warrant a change of filter

Any thoughts??

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Engine cuts out during drive
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »
Try it with the fuel cap off.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »
Hi,

along the same lines as Drakman, when you stop next, undo the fuel cap or just wiggle it and see if you can hear a little woosh of air.

The symptoms suggest you might have blocked breathers(crushed the pipe when fitting the tank, or you have connected things up wrong, and there is no air able to get in to replace fuel that you have used.

When it does restart, does it crank over for awhwile(enough to draw up the fuel through the pump and into the bowl) before it kicks and starts running?

Terry

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
Interesting that you both mention the fuel cap as during the second break down I removed the cap to try and blow air back into the tank and that's when she started up again and I was able to drive the few K's to get back home which was a lot bigger distance than what i was getting when I just allowed it to sit for a few minutes and then try again (if that makes sense).

There was no whoosh sound when I took the cap off though but i think i might give it another go to see if that happens.

As for the question about it having to crank over for a while to draw up the fuel through the pump and into the bowl before it kicks and starts running i can't really remember but it is possible. Not happy about the thought of driving her around deliberately waiting to break down but oh well it has to be done and I'll let you know how I go.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »
Hi,

you have shown you can get it going again so just drive around where you can easily pull over safely. Or just drive around with the fuel cap off and see if it keeps going for you. Or or take the inspection cover plate off and disconnect the breathers at the three way junction and again see if it stops on you.

It is more likely to stop on you if the tank is full(less air) and your are motoring along at speed. If you drop back to idle a lot it gives the air a chance to catch up.

Terry

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:55:56 PM »
So heres an update regarding the engine cutting out. I drove around until I broke down. Took the fuel cap off and whilst it appeared to initially make a difference it was short lived and the engine cut out again.

Had the mechanical fuel pump checked and found that although it was new I had got a dodgy one and so replaced it. I put a new fuel filter on it so measure how much (if any) of the crap was still left in the tank after having it flushed and re-sealed.

Things seemed to run fine for a while and I went for a nice big highway drive this afternoon but after about 30km same thing happened again. I managed to get to a decent spot to open the hood and have a look. I could see very little fuel in the filter and it was slowly bubbling up trying to fill. I removed the fuel cap again (just in case) but didn't really make a difference. Removed the fuel line from the filter and blew air back into the tank which seemed to give the best amount of up and go to get home.

Oh, and when I have sat for a short time and try to get going again I turn the key and the engine starts straight away.

Thoughts??
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:58:10 PM by Beno »

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 12:17:05 AM »
Hi Beno,
I remember having this same issue when I first put my Moke on the road many years ago now.
I ended up removing and cleaning the tank and it went away. Just like what should have happened to your tank.
Very frustrating, Im sure.
Take the fuel cap off and try using compressed air to blow backwards from before the pump back to the tank.
It really sounds like its starving for fuel somehow.
Do you have a photo of the carbie and where your overflow hose goes too?
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 07:18:08 AM »
Hi Beno,

I assume you have checked to make sure you don't have any foreign object/objects still in the tank, it doesn't take much to block the fuel pick up in the tank.  As the engine draws fuel for it's needs anything in the tank will be drawn to the pickup and block it.  When the low pressure from the pump "sucking" the fuel out of the tank subsides  the blockage clears itself and the engine will start again.

Cheers
Dave

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
The bubbling in the filter you mention doesn't sound right.
I wonder if it is drawing air from a loose pipe fitting or connection.
Loose or faulty fittings and connectors can draw air without showing any sign of a fuel leak.
Cheers, Dave

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 09:12:54 AM »
Thanks Guys  ;D

There is a pipe that goes from the carby to the charcoal canister and I removed that yesterday along with the fuel cap but no difference HP, but I can still upload a photo if you like?

I’m just going to have to spend the time today and drop the tank so I can have a good look at the tubing to see if there is any air getting in or kinks as well as get rid of the fuel and try to see if there is still crap inside the tank causing the blockage.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »
Hi,

how was the tank 'resealed'? Was it a case of the tank was opened up and flushed or a fuel tank sealant(epoxy paint) used?

Terry

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 11:16:06 PM »
So after everything, it seems as though there was crap leftover in the tank and it’s crystallised fuel from when it had been out sitting in the paddock for all those years.

I’m so glad I took it to professionals to have it flushed and sealed  :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:51:15 AM by Beno »

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 09:10:19 AM »
So after everything, it seems as though there was crap leftover in the tank and it’s crystallised fuel from when it had been out sitting in the paddock for all those years.

I’m so glad I took it to professionals to have it flushed and sealed  :o

Yes they did a professional job!!  ::)
Cheers, Dave