Author Topic: Steel fuel hose  (Read 452 times)

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    The truly galvanised Moke
Steel fuel hose
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:27:31 PM »
Have recently seen a fair bit of love for the plastic fuel lines that come on the mokes from factory:

But how good is that plastic fuel line.

We were just about to replace it with the following product, but are wondering if it's such a good idea?
https://minisport.com.au/mini-moke-1a4-bundy-line-used-for-fuel-systems

Has anyone had experience with the above product? Do you reckon it's best perhaps to keep the original plastic?

Thanks,
Sharks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:13:30 PM by Sharks »

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Steel fuel hose
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:33:24 PM »
Hi Sharks,

Steel fuel line is well proven but i think trying to work it through the body work of a Moke from the tank to the engine bay would require more joins than i would want in a fuel line.  Don't even get me started on the rattles it could cause, i hate rattles.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 06:41:48 PM »
Hi Drakman,

Thanks for the thoughts. We've got the tools to bend it up, so joins I don't think are an issue. We'd use rubber grommets in all the holes through the body, so unless it would rattle against the walls of the fuel tank area I think we'll be okay.

Glad to hear the steel fuel line is well proven. If we can overcome the other points you've raised, it looks like we shouldn't face too many issues.

Thanks,
Sharks

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:28:08 PM »
Hi,

in your 1980+ Moke there was no steel fuel line used as you need to get from the bottom of the round tank up around to the top out and up the inside of the Moke and then into the engine. Other than spending a lot of time, I am not sure you are going to gain much by going to all that effort.

Pre 1980 there was a metal line from the fuel pump to a filter before the carby and two pieces of steel pipe from the tank along inside the side box and the another piece from inside the side box up the inside of the foot well and into the engine bay. The joins were short pieces of rubber hose except for coming out of the fuel pump. The steel pipe from the fuel pump to the carby tended to have an issue with vaporising in hot weather as it went between the exhaust and the firewall.

The pipe advertised is just brake line tube which you can get at brake places, auto suppliers and engineering firms.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:54:49 AM by Terry »

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation, Terry. I think we will end up sticking with the plastic after reading that ::)