Author Topic: Speedo Cable length  (Read 344 times)

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Speedo Cable length
« on: August 01, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
Hi Guys and Girls,

Can someone please tell me the length of the Moke speedo cable, Mini sport lists the Mini speedo cables from 26 inches  to 48 inches.

While on the speedo subject is it possible to swap the speedo driven pinion gears, i see that the gears that were used are all only one tooth apart, 16, 17, 18. ( 17 being the std)  I believe the drive spindle on a Moke is 6 teeth?

Cheers
Dave

moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Speedo Cable length
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:19:35 AM »
Hi Dave,
I used a standard 26" one and it fitted fine. Don't know why some places list a longer cable for a Moke as they all had a centrally mounted speedo. Might give you a bit more wiggle space when fitting or routing it maybe? The PO had fitted a longer one to my van and it just gets in the way when working in the engine bay.
The speedo pinion just pulls out after you have removed the cover (single bolt holds that on). It's a bit of a tight job in situ but it can be done. As far as replacing it with a different size goes, I have no experience with that.
Dean
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door - Joe Walsh

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »
Thanks Dean,

I appreciate that,  i have been holding off ordering a new one until i knew the length.

Cheers
Dave

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »
Hi,

the longer cable were used on the Clubman where dash housing is in front of the steering wheel. I tend to use a longer one, not the normal Moke one, but i couldn't tell you if it is 48" either. The longer ones give you a bit more length to play with and I tend to come out of the firewall and past the front of the carby before heading it back down to the gearbox.

If you remove the driveshaft it is easier to get at the fittings on the gearbox.

Terry

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 06:06:44 PM »
Thanks Terry,

It looks like i will have to take the inner CV out just to get my hand anywhere near the speedo drive, ah the joys!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 09:15:39 PM »
Thanks Terry,

It looks like i will have to take the inner CV out just to get my hand anywhere near the speedo drive, ah the joys!

And the trick is to use your left hand. :)

Terry